Smell

I tried my first anal toy ever and loved it! I only have a little problem: after 6-7 washes with different soaps and sprays the toy still smells a lot. I didn't douche before because I wasn't sure if I was gonna enjoy anal toys so I didn't want to purchase a douche only to use it once, but i'll be looking in getting one for sure.

The toy is silicone so i'm wondering if the smell is something normal or not (since silicone is non-porous then why would the smell persist?).

Do I just let it out for the night? Do I boil it? How do I do that?

I also have another concern about glass toys. I have I glass dildo that can be used both vaginaly and analy and after this great experience I'm thinking about trying it analy but how can it be cleaned so it is safe to use it both ways?

Hmmm what toy is it if you don't mind me asking? It really does depend on the product. Does it smell like the product, or more of a body type smell? 

Glass toys you can pretty much clean however you like, a lot of people actually pop them in their dishwasher! However i always go for the warm water-toy cleaner combo.

Oh- and has the silicone toy been stored alone or has it been touching other toys / items? :)

It's this toy http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32085

It was stored in it's original packaging in a drawer with other toys in their storage bags and lube bottles.

The smell isn't caused by the material in my opinion, plus it didn't smell like this before I first used it (i used the lovehoney water-based anal lube with it so it's not due to that either).

I had the same problem, and you'll find other cases here in the forum. Silicone being non-porous is an oversimplification. It's micro-porous and obviously the pores are big enough for the molecules that cause smell.

I've had some success by soaking the plug in vinegar. I suppose soda would be another possibility - or any of the "recettes de grand-mère" supposed to reduce bad smells. Or you could just keep the plug away from you nose... Personally, I'm back to using a condom over all my anal toys (except the glass butt plug - that did't absorb smell).

A condom would also save on cleaning for anal and vaginal use. Otherwise I'd porobably boil the toy (with a towel to stop the glass from banging against the pot), or find another way to sterilize it. I most definitely would not rely on sex toy cleaner or even my usual thorough washing procedure!

I can't help you with the issue per se, as don't have that toy (or into anal), but I just wanted to say congrats! Most people approaching anal the first time get themselves the smallest plug they can find, and you went straight for the big guns and enjoyed it too! :)
Just my two cents for the cleaning, I'd follow what Talia said. You can just pop the silicone toy (as long as it doesn't have electrical parts) in water (maybe even adding vinegar to it) and boiling it. But it should also be dishwasher safe.

I have that toy and I put mine in the dishwasher. Some anal toys do tend to have an 'aroma' about them after use....unless they're glass or metal. I've tried washing them with antibacterial soap, then spritzing with toy cleaner and leaving to dry in the open air. This does seem to work with some of them but not all.

Unless you're getting it really close to your nose, and you know you've cleaned it thoroughly, I dont think I'd worry too much x

Ah. I had a similar problem with the Tracey Cox G-Spot vibrator. It was a bit whiffy from day one. And it hadn't been near me!

I found that wiping it with a flushable washlet did the trick that other washes and wipes didn't touch.

I use the FSOG cleaner on all toys and have no problems with any sort of smell whether it is silicone or glass/metal. maybe I just got lucky, or maybe your toy wa san unlucky one?

there are other cleaners available too for this purpose

Thanks to all! I tried with baby wipes before trying any "recettes de grand-mère" or boiling it and it seemed to do the trick! After all, they are made for those kinds of matters and dirthiness.

That's brilliant to know!

Stick it through the dishwasher.

Beads are the issue I'm having. I don't have a dishwasher, scared to use a bleach solution and don't fanvy boiling them in my pans!

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Beads are the issue I'm having. I don't have a dishwasher, scared to use a bleach solution and don't fanvy boiling them in my pans!

I bought a cheap pan for boiling my toys and menstrual cup so it doesn't cross contaminate any food. Wal-mart is your friend in that case

mamz wrote:

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I bought a cheap pan for boiling my toys and menstrual cup so it doesn't cross contaminate any food. Wal-mart is your friend in that case

Good idea! Gotta love Wal-mart (it's Asda over here). I only use soapy water for menstrual cup, so could stick that in. Just need to get my string on my Lelo balls clean. I only go for silicone removal cords, but hadn't checked when I bout the Luna balls, so disappointed for the price.