Smells and memories

At this time of year, particularly at night there is a smell in the air that usually means summer has arrived and when I smell it I'm immediately transported back to when I met my wife and the long walks we took when we first started dating.

I was wondering what smells evoke powerful memories for the lovehoney community (hopefully good, maybe bad) and what are the smells and memories involved?

Summer, long awaited rain on hot tarmac very distinctive.

This happens to me a lot but to pinpoint the memory is difficult, sometimes its a sense of deja vu but sometimes the scents bring back memories I thought were forgotten :)

It's nice when this happens as it's usually a good memory, some smells remind me of holidays one triggers when i was in spain 40 years ago another in portugal ten years ago.

I know I've already mentioned this in a previous thread but when I smell leather it brings back memories of my husbands motorcycle jacket and that feeling of being young and not being able to keep your hands off each other.
The smell of bluebells reminds me of going for walks when I was little with my dad, a nice memory but at the same time a bit sad as hes now sadly deceased .
Coconut oil brings back happy memories - holidays etc. There is one smell that reminds me of a unpleasent time I was going through many years ago and its that horrible artificial rose fragrance, even if I smell it now it still has the power to make me feel sick!

The smell of pine, brings me back to when i was a child at christmas, one of the best presents i ever got was an amazing crib handmade by my dad and every christmas up untill he passed we always set the crib up togeter, it became one of the best memories i have of my dad

The smell of cream soda always reminds me of days on the beach in cornwall in the summer :)

Such a lovely memory Irish.

The smell of gorse reminds me of long summer days spent at my parents house. As a teenager I was home on my own all day and used to spent the whole day out with the horses. It was bliss.

The smell of broom reminds me of the banks of Loch Ness when I was knee high to a grasshopper

Ah, I love how smells can bring on the most vivd of memories!

My scent-memory would be during Winter when people have their wood burners on. I'm not sure what type of wood it is, but there is a very distinct wood which some people burn and it takes me right back to living in Caesarea in Canada. I always stop to breathe in huge lung-fulls whenever I smell it - it's the closest thing to a time warp!

The smell of recently mown grass reminds me of summer afternoons in Cornwall playing cricket.

Hey wildflower, it was actually your post that prompted this thread.

The smell of pine reminds me of christmas also , but sea and sand brings back holidays with my dad in cornwall love them days x

RB That was nice of you, thanks :)

No problem m'lady.

No problem m'lady.