Smooth Legs on a man?

Plenty of cyclists (regardless of gender) shave their legs. Although I always thought it was for streamlining - it seems it’s usually just for ease of getting into and out of tight clothing. And for hygiene reasons (ease of removal of plasters etc)

I wouldn’t both myself…

2 Likes

As someone who has cycled I can say it is for a number of reasons. As you allude to @BLovesC wearing Lycra (particularly long leggings in winter) can be very itchy with hairy legs. Stream lining does have some credence here, but that more applies to swimmers who also shave their bodies being on the water.

One of the other reasons is that inevitably riding a bike you do come off, and can vouch it hurts … particularly if you get ‘gravel rash’ which is common …. and usually ruins your cycle kit!! However this is where hairs do get stuck in the wound and occasionally contribute to infections etc.

R xx

2 Likes

Right on all accounts although I think the benefits of streamlining are reserved for the pros due the vast difference in speed between them and us mortals although I have been known to touch 75kph on a very steep mountain in France once or twice (coming down obviously :joy::joy:) Scared the beejeezus out of me and I’ve no idea if I’d been any slower with leg hair! :joy:
I can’t speak for any sports other than cycling but the greatest benefit of having smooth legs for me is on the massage table.
There is nothing more painful than having someone pummel your thighs if they’re covered in hair!

3 Likes

My useless language :joy:

I don’t shave my legs, honestly it’s enough of a pain to shave my face which I have to do daily. My beard is fantastic and grows at a freakish rate much to my brothers envy! Fortunately it’s also quite compliant if I want to style it but it takes maintenance to avoid me looking like captain birds eye. I couldn’t face having to spend precious time grooming my bloody legs as well.

I know a lot of sports people shave body hair, I have a friend from the gym who was a world class road cyclist 20 years or so ago and he’s never gotten out of the habit, he still shaves every inch of his body. None of my business and I certainly wouldn’t think to question anyone who shaved their legs.

Just a light trim legs. I’ve never shaved them but do keep other parts bare or closely trimmed. Mrs epilates legs for a longer effect so if you enjoy bare legs you may want to give that a go

I have often wondered about an epilator @Brian_Lisa … but guess I’m not that brave, or have plucked up courage to do that yet! :wink: my Gillette Venus every few days I think is less painful! :persevere:

R xx

With the mention of a Venus razor, it might be cheaper to use a man’s razor as those aimed at women tend to be dearer, and no matter what the adverts claim, if they’re designed to shave bodily contours, they’ll be just as effective.

1 Like

Believe me @WillC, I would rather not buy the Venus razors, they are comparatively expensive as you say. I have in the past tried a plethora of other brands and types, but to deliver the lovely smoothness I love on my legs and ‘bits’ nothing comes close(r).

R xx

2 Likes

I have always been a avid sportsman doing all different types of sports and always shaved, waxed , ipl’d and Lasered my unwanted body hair , As I dont like bodyhair :confounded:.

When it comes to people asking me why I just say I dont like body hair

1 Like

I shaved my legs once. My lovely Mrs is beyond amazing to me in that she allows me to indulge in the luxury of wearing stockings in the bedroom when we’re in the zone! (Full-on stockings and suspenders) I love it, and she digs it too. We’re both stocking fetishists.

Anyway, one year for the big company Holiday party, we were going to stay at the hotel after the evening’s events. Before we left our home for the party and overnight, I shaved my legs hips-down, so as to fully enjoy the sensations of real nylon stockings on my freshly shaven legs (for our planned after party evening delights).

Honestly, it was a bit of a let down and it didn’t feel as I’d imagined it would. :anguished: I didn’t experience the results I’d hoped for. And at my age (I’m over 50) it took a long time for the hair to grow back. I did get teased once by my male coworkers about the paucity of hair on my legs - which I shrugged off and explained away as a side effect of dwindling testosterone levels in my old guy bod…

3 Likes

@Douglasfir

If you shave them and keep them smooth then that makes all the difference.

Only very very occasionally has anyone noticed… well said anything about my smooth legs, and I wear shorts all the the time during the summer months. I just admit to it … well that I prefer shaved legs! :wink: I am lucky that I do have quite toned legs.

You are very lucky that OH loves you in stockings … genuinely one in a million.

R xx

Ive waxed my legs once… OW IT HURT SO BAD and it grew back in a month or so back to max length, but it did feel good and made scrubbing them in the shower much less of a chore. May go back to doing it but might just trim to very short instead, saves me the pain and ingrown hairs

At the start of summer I got mine waxed for a charity bike ride because of gravel rash concerns. Shaving was too prickly 3 days later so wax it was. As others have said if you end up with the rash from crashing medics aren’t just plucking the gravel out they’d be tweezing out the leg hair as well, probably 3 or more at a time. I also found it easier to put sun block on. I’ve also found I prefer my legs smooth so have been waxed recently and am looking to book again.

@monkey169 welcome to the club xx

Funnily enough, I came off my bike the other week, and got a bit of gravel rash … but no hairs to pluck out thankfully! Xx

I always find moisturising my legs after shaving etc gives them a lovely sheen, they feel lovely.

R xx

@Rachel_sometimes same here. Cannot stand body hair on myself anywhere other than my head.

Always been that way. Especially while playing sports as a kid in the Deep South.

Trapped too much heat back then.

Still does today but hairless for more than just that reason now. :wink:

Try using the moisturiser for shaving :razor: it helps the blade glide over your skin and doesn’t leave a soap residue and then leaves everything moisturised. I’ve been doing this for years. :+1:

1 Like

At the moment I shave my chest, shoulders, arms down to the elbows, stomach and pubic area so I’m hairless between my neck and my thighs. Each time I shave a new area my wife seems to approve so I’m wondering about going completely hairless in the near future. The only drawback is the stubble stage after a day or two.

1 Like

Keep my legs shaved all the time as stockings then feel even more sexy and nice to wear.If ever anyone asks i always say “it makes my stockings feel nicer” and grin as i say it.Nearly everyone i have said this to have all agreed.Makes me think there are as many male wearers as there are females! :grinning:

1 Like

I have been asked for years if I shave my legs because I wear jeans that keep hair off my calves especially . I have pretty good calves and I move often . While removing hair from my playground area I also remove hair from my upper legs . I do trim much of my leg hair shorter . I have my wife trim my back hair and I keep chest and belly hair short . I wear shorts all the time and am chicken to shave my legs for all the questions from neighbors and friends . I do think about shaving my legs , especially for wearing stockings .

1 Like