Social Sharing Buttons

Hello Folks!

You many have noticed (or maybe not!) the proliferation of social sharing buttons around the site - this is because, despite our best efforts (and whaddya know, an hour long TV show about us), Lovehoney is still "a best kept secret" (according to various marketing and branding types who apparently know about such things)

So, I've put these nifty little sharing buttons around the place. and Lovehoney being Lovehoney, I've made sure we say Please and Thankyou every time. Good manners cost nothing.

So, question is - are they invasive? Is the messaging right? Would folks use them? Is Lovehoney not the sort of place you shout about on social networks? If not, how can we better "spread the word" so to speak?

Opinions appreciated!

Matt

I wouldn't share LH on Facebook because I am 'friends' with siblings, cousins, aunties, uncles and parents - there are some things my family do not need to know about (I'm also friends with several of my partners colleagues and they don't need to know either)! I don't find the sharing buttons invasive though, I don't feel pressured to use them.

I think they are very handy, and will be using them. I don't think they are invasive, although some people do over use them on twitter, etc.

Yes, I think Lovehoney is the kind of place to share on social networking - even on my normal facebook people share similar things.

Bloggers seem to be a good way to spread the word ;-)

Cheers Folks!

I think I might play about with the messaging a bit.

Nymph, bloggers are good, but posts can be very product-based, and therefore can be price driven, without explaining the benefits of the company being talked about (so Lh will never fair well against the cheap-but-awful-customer-service types). Bloggers also are mostly affiliates, so there's a bit of a trust issue for the customer - as in "are they recommending this because it's good, or because they get a payback".

Lovehoney - Numbers wrote:

Cheers Folks!

I think I might play about with the messaging a bit.

Nymph, bloggers are good, but posts can be very product-based, and therefore can be price driven, without explaining the benefits of the company being talked about (so Lh will never fair well against the cheap-but-awful-customer-service types). Bloggers also are mostly affiliates, so there's a bit of a trust issue for the customer - as in "are they recommending this because it's good, or because they get a payback".

I was chatting about this to another blogger today.

I currently can't use or accept money from affiliates, so when I link within my review I don't earn anything... I mostly tend to link where people would find it helpful.

This blogger and I both agreed that some people over use affiliate links, esp via things like twitter... often writing less about their blog and themselves, and more about products on websites. People need bloggers to seem real, so they can relate to them =)... Also it just made me happy that I have people following and reading my blog or social networking messages because of me and not becuase I'm trying to constantly promote the latest sex toy offer ^_^

I still need to find time to write up about ETO and LH party. I must visit LH HQ again at some point too... I feel I was a little awestruck last time =)... I didn't fondle enough products as well ;-).

I also have to write up about my 50 shades party.

I'm currently working on a few sites and side projects, where I will write about companies and have interviews etc, which aren't about promoting products... it's just taking some time.

But yeah, you're right, it's tricky when people are mostly writing about products. Even trickier when they are trying to promote sales all the time because they are earning from doing so.

Personally I wouldn't share Lh on social networking because my private life is...well, private. I do discuss the company, that I review and recommend them to close friends in normal discussion if it comes up.

I'd be more likely to share well written blog posts, particularly ones that give good advice about common problems but I'd be reluctant unless it really is a very useful post. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Tracy Cox (although she does get it right plenty, I think she misses key points sometimes) or Julie Peasgood so it's rare there's a post I'd want to share.

Regular features on the blog and competitions are more likely to be shared I think too.

Adx

I think social sharing buttons are a good idea, but I also think they'll mostly be used by sex & sexuality bloggers & those who already have a separate, 'sexy', online presence. As for them being invasive, they don't seem so to me! :)

I don't mind them being around. They don't seem to be in a place where I *have* to click on them or in an inconvenient position.

Personally, I don't think I would feel very comfortable sharing any likes/pages etc to my social network purely because I have so many different people on there including the OH's mother! I don't think she'll be too impressed (or might be but still!). And like others have stated, I don't wish to share my private life, on that level, with others.

The way I see Lovehoney- is that once you find it, you'll be hooked! The hard bit is getting the word out there but I think subtle/covert ways like every-day merchandise, and things like lingerie that are more romantic etc may be the window in appealing to those consumers and gaining their interest. I think having a page or 2 purely for beginners will be a good introductory way to lure them in. Just a non-threatening "hello, this is lovehoney for your romantic and sexual needs" or something like that.

Also the Lovehoney Blog has so much information! When there's a dilemma in the forums, I do a quick search and am always learning new things. I find it such a great little resource! This can also be publicised a little better. I agree with Ad about features and competitions! Maybe there can be a newsletter sort of page of the latest model and review of the month with a quick run down on other products and review/photos. This can be shared too.

They aren't invasive at all, some of the best I've seen when you compare to other sites which seem to slap you in the face with facebook and twitter buttons!

I won't really use them on my personal account, no. But I'm sure many will.

I cause enough scandal amongst my family already. :-)

I'm surprised that Lovehoney isn't well known. I heard of it yeaaars ago. I may not even have been able to legally purchase a sex toy then d=

i would use it on my twitter account, but not on my facebook to many family and work colleges that i`d rather they didnt know what i got upto lol

I'd put things on my twitter but even then not much. I wouldn't put anything on Facebook, but I have liked the LH page on there - too many family members would get the wrong idea if I put stuff on there, even though they have probably all used LH at some point haha.

I have 'liked' LoveHoney on Facebook and look at the page a lot, but as I have a lot of activity on my account this goes largely unnoticed unless someone seeks LoveHoney out on purpose on my likes page. If someone asks, yeah I buy lingerie, so what? ;-) Amongst other things...

The social sharing buttons are a good idea, but it all depends on what types of friends you have, and if you are "friends" online with your family. I think you should try and advertise more - we already know about LH, which is why we're on the site :-) Advertisements on other websites would spread the word quicker and get more people visiting LoveHoney imo.

agreeing with HE here and I also think you should draw attention to your returns policy to get new customers! I know this might cause problems like new users just abusing the system though :(