Storing your sex toys

Why is it important to ensure your sex toys are stored correctly?

Well, there are a few good reasons, especially when it comes to products that are not 100% made from products such as Silicone, Glass, Ceramic and Metal.

There are a fair few products gracing the shelves of sex toy retailers, even reputable retailers still don’t stock 100% body safe sex products but this doesn't mean it is a bad thing, take cock rings for example (they are not internally used). In my post ‘What sex toys are suited to you‘, I go into depth about materials and why some are not entirely body safe.

Materials such as Jelly, Sili-gel, Cyber Skin, Vinyl and a like are not 100% porous and involve adding numerous chemicals into making them what they are. A porous material (in easy terms) have little holes within the material, which means that you can not fully keep them clean and in the long term, will end up storing/growing unwanted bacterias in them.

With porous materials such as Jelly, it is advice that if you are to use them internally within your body, you should place a condom over them. Unfortunately, not many people heed this this advice and find that their rubber butt plugs and dildos tend to discolor over time.

When I first started out as a review blogger, I made the mistake of placing a couple of my jelly sex toys into the same draw as a silicone dildo. I didn’t check on them and over time, the jelly products would leave a sticky residue substance on the bottom of the draw. Then eventually, as 2 jelly products were touching the silicone dildo, I noticed that the silicone dildo started getting scar type marks over the shaft, where the jelly butt plugs were touching it.

After seeking advice from a few longer standing sex bloggers, I removed the silicone dildo but had to dispose of it. I removed the jelly products and placed them in a plastic storage box. Within 3 months, 2 of the jellies completely disintegrated. I also noticed a chemical smell coming from the storage box. From then on, I refused to purchase jellied products, although some retailers still sent me some to review, I would attempt to review the product without prejudice but I would always mention that these sex toys were not body safe and the hazards of using products such as that.

Now I will store my sex toys in separate bags that I personally purchase from online retailers like Lovehoney. Thankfully, a fair few dildos, vibrators and various male sex toys, will come with their own storage bags, which is a big help. It also is a big bonus, when products such as LELO, come with their own hardened cardboard storage boxes.

But how else would you store your sex toys? There are a few options, cotton/satin draw string type bags, I know of some people that actually store their dildos in socks they no longer use (a big money saving tip I suppose but not a bad idea at all!).

You can use shoe boxes, even those cardboard type fold up storage boxes that you can purchase from Amazon or places like The card Factory, after all, that is a cheaper option. If you have room in your wardrobe, you could try a hanging cotton type shoe rack.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

The Lovehoney satin draw string bag (I have a handful of these myself):

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=22930

Bondage storage bag:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=31272

Large lockable lovehoney storage case:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29235

Medium lockable lovehoney storage case:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=30925

Small lockable lovehoney storage case:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=30924

I have an ottoman type bed, with storage underneath, so it is easy for me to hide my naughty goodies and separate them but others may not have this type of luxury when it comes to storing their adult products. I personally use the satin draw string bags from Lovehoney but I also use various different types of storage bags that I have picked up on my travels.

Not only does storing my sex toys in bags, helps to keep them as dust free as possible, it helps to stop and marks occurring or any further melting issues. People still think that Silicone touching Silicone is a bad thing but let’s get this straight: If your dildo or selected sex toy is made from 100% Silicone, it will not make a difference to how you store it, be it with other 100% silicone or on it’s own.

It's good to keep in mind that lovehoney tend to run 3 for x amount offers and they usually have their storage options available in these types of offers.

I hope this has been of some help x

A great bit of advice, Blue! Thanks for sharing 😊

Thank you, no probs :)

Subdom27 wrote:

A great bit of advice, Blue! Thanks for sharing 😊

+1. No excuses now.

It's a great idea to store stuff carefully! I've bought some organza wine bottle bags in different colours. They were seriously cheap and you can also see through them so it's easier to know what's inside. I've just ordered a big wooden trunk to put all of our goodies in!

+1 Blueeyes82, great write up. I do wish I had read something similar to this earlier in life. It wasn't until recently that we made the decision to go with the finest silicon products and nothing but. It started with the purchase of our first, definitely not last, Lelo product and my discovery of the LH Forums, where I have learned a lot. I remember one product in particular, a cheaper masturbator, that we experienced this degradation with. It started with a little misshapen material on one end. This soon became complete break down. It almost appeared that it had melted from heat application. We assumed at the time that this was happening because it was in the top of our closet and the insulation above the ceiling there was lacking a bit. This of course wasn't the case. We have always stored our toys in a locking plastic box but never worried about seperation from other toys. At the time we dismissed this as an anomaly, but we're proved wrong. We had a rubber dildo start to show signs of the shaft 'scarring'. Needless to say, I had adapted our storage techniques, as well as the purchase of better materials. We now have our toys in the drawstring bags or stored completely seperately. Bottom line is that I think a write up like this should be attached to every toy purchase. There are still so many out there that have the same lack of knowledge that we did at that time. Thank you for your contribution.

Thankyou all for taking the time to read my post :)

I agree, i think it comes from experience and there should be a disclaimer or an info leaflet with products

Do any of the LH members have any other quirky ways of storing their naughty toys?

I have taken a tip from an earlier suggestion and i use an old pair of socks to keep mine separate.

This is so helpful!! Thank you!! I've only just seen a few things on toy storage today and it didn't even cross my mind that they might degrade or melt. Soon as I'm home will sort it out as a few are in the same bags.

Great advice, thanks Blueeyes! We keep our toys in 2 lockable laptop bags - as we have quite a stash now - lol. We find these bags are really handy as they have lots of different pockets and compartments. We have separate LH storage bags for each toy too. Then lubes and massage oils are all stored in one of the large Lovehoney gift boxes. All our floggers, crops & paddles etc. are hanging up on hooks behind our clothes in our wardrobe. We also have some bondage straps tied to our bed that we tuck away neatly underneath when not in use :) xx