The fear?

to be honest any of you could be my nextdoor neighbour and I wouldn’t know. See I’m very open.i don’t think anyone would be surprised by me being on here so it’s quite different for me

1 Like

@Orgasm_Chaser I recognised your name from the streak you mentiond on the ABC of names topic…Nigel! :wink:

1 Like

@WillC you’re close actually

1 Like

A lot of the responses are exactly what I was expecting. And it’s really reassuring to feel safe in this sort of environment. Thank you all.

When I mentioned being recognised. It wasn’t visually. It was more people putting two and two together from things being said.

As you’ve said, there’s nothing anyone could do. And the moderators do a great job in keeping this place safe and clean of questionable behaviour, thus freeing up the quirks and kinds and curiousities to flourish.

It was an idle thought that’s been picking away at me for a while. Having been binging on A podcast during lockdown, I was able to work out where the presenter lived (we know the are well from a previous time). And that’s what got me thinking. If I can do it. Far more brainer people could dissect things on here. Although that’s massively stalkerish. :joy:

2 Likes

Well, most of us have revealed roughly where we live, but i don’t think saying a town or city is too revealing. It’s up to the individual how much they reveal about themselves, and i guess the female members should be more wary. As far as i’m aware we’re a decent bunch who respect each others privacy and personal space.

4 Likes

Totally agree @WillC. I like the anonymity on here. I grew up with the mantra of “be a man, don’t complain and get on with it”, and over the years I found that most people couldn’t give a damn about others. I found in the past for example even when I tried to bring up things at work, I was told if you complain it will be held against you, or if you don’t like it f*** off and go somewhere else.

4 Likes

@Knight1119 Me too, that’s why this forum is so special.

2 Likes

I would assume/hope that to become a member of the forum you’d have to have made a few purchases, so that Lovehoney have your address, so that if you were doing something illegal or worrying they could contact the police?

3 Likes

This forum feels safe enough, for all the reasons people have mentioned.

Due to the forum’s nature, we are maybe more likely to be open and reveal more, but there is an edit function now if we feel we have given too much away.

I guess someone could be obsessive and join the dots - but that is true in real life communities too. I think this forum is well moderated, so members are protected - and have the same legal protections as anywhere else.

4 Likes

when I first joined the lovehoney forum many moons ago , I used to be scared of this but now it doesn’t bother me. I used to have a cat called fizzy at the time I made my profile and wondered about people putting two and two together. Its all about what and how much you share if people are going to work out who you are. Im more bothered about someone recognising me on twitter as I use my fizzy name in that profile and often post pictures. So i try not to post pictures with recognisable items in it

2 Likes

I love the anonymity of this forum and I adore having somewhere to talk sex

6 Likes

My stance is like WillC’s if anyone I know is on here and figures out it’s me well then they must be like mind so no worries. Plus I’m fairly open about things, like my transition zero problem answering questions and I always find it funny when someone in real life wants to ask and you can see it but they are afraid too. Same with liking toys and stuff, my bf and I actually were talking toys 2 hours into our conversation. Heck even my parents know a lot about my interests.

4 Likes

My close friends know about this side of me and as previously said if someone is on this site they must share common interests.

2 Likes

Yes.

I have never posted pictures of myself on the forum though did used to use various pictures of myself (though not with face/tattoos/etc.) in my profile picture. I have decided against this now and decided on an artsy shot of a couple of my toys instead :rofl:. I am pretty open in what I talk about though and sometimes worry about if I’m talking about family, work, hobbies or festivals I’ve been to someone could link it all together. To be honest I think this is more me being paranoid though. If people are on regularly enough to follow my various conversations through different chats then they’re probably regular contributors themselves and probably have fairly similar interests in which case I would be very happy to find out I knew them in life outside the forum and it would be great to have more people to talk sex with in person.

I did raise the question a while ago of whether we could set our profile to public for other level 2 and above because I didn’t want someone I knew slipping in briefly recognising something I was talking about and then going through my profile and reviews.

For now I’m keeping my profile hidden and not posting pictures of myself but I truly appreciate that others here are happy and confident to do so. The community is so inclusive, you can talk about anything and there are always people who can offer you support and advice. It’s a very good place and I wouldn’t have a problem with the people I’ve talked to knowing who I am in the “real world” but I would be uncomfortable if certain friends or work colleagues knew some of the reviews I’ve written were mine… on the flip side, when I lived with my parents my Dad knew I was a Lovehoney tester! :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

The name and address would make it really easy but I’ve previously had admin rights on other forums and could see the IP address of each post, from which the police could get the address from the network provider.

1 Like

Oh yes, you can actually discuss things you’re really interested in with like minded people. Plus all the off topic threads are great in their own ways and make for well rounded social interactions. I might give up on a classical music forum too and just come on here (there’s only a dozen modern composers I like and I’ve got enough in my collection now). :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Never worried us, if people do workout it is us, which is unlikely, then I doubt that they will bring it up. The positives much outweigh any potemtial downside. Enjoy.

4 Likes

I’m not really worried. I’m pretty open so happy to chat about these sort of things with anyone

1 Like

Meh, a small risk. The worst thing out there is my bare bum, and I quite like my bum, so no I’m not too bothered. And I must agree with what has already been mentioned: if someone has identified you, there is absolutely no moral high ground as they were using the same platform themselves…this fear of social shaming also stops a lot of people accessing appropriate support groups for mental health and addiction. Quite sad really.

8 Likes