Too little or too much lube

Just a discussion about lube in general . I personally find too much lube is detrimental to my erection . If there is very little friction I do not maintain a full erection . Same for anal toys , too much lube detracts from the sensations . I prefer water based lubes because if applied a little thick , it will gradually dry out and add a bit more friction . It is a bit of a balancing act as we get older , wife needs good lube and I prefer less . She really like the silicone based lubes because they last a long time , me not so much . I also like water based because of easy clean up , where the others can be a bit of work . Others thought on the subject ?

3 Likes

I have a few sensory issues (i think my husband does too!) so lube is a bit of a tricky one for us. I hate anything gloopy, too thick or ones that have a smell. I prefer lubes that feel like oil - either oil based or silicone based however my husband hates anything greasy which rules out oil and silicone! I haven’t found anything that we both like yet. We tend to compromise with Yes water based lube or occasionally mix that one with a little of the oil based one. I can’t say that I like it, I just tolerate it as a necessity.

3 Likes

I dont like the mess but it is a necessary evil for some things. We stick to water based as its the easiest to clean but same as @Kitty-Cat01 we prefer, no scent or taste. We got the cherry one once and dont think we ever finished it.
Obviously anal is a must and i wont skimp on that whether it be toys or his cock.
Vaginally, we dont really need it for PIV but we use it for toys (his and mine) but not loads unless we are playing with our biggest toys or fisting and then like anal its a must.

3 Likes

I’ve never really thought about it much :thinking:
I defo agree silicone lube takes a bit of work to clean up and isn’t great for most toys but the trusty water based lube I just usually squirt on and think nothing of it and top up as and when I need it…

Maybe it’s something I’d think more about during sex if and when I end up having it more occasionally rather than once in a blue moon lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree with you @Oldman (that sounds like something I’d say down the local), but I’ve found to much lube is detrimental and makes me go soft when it’s the last thing I want.

1 Like

We use coconut oil, I associate the smell with sex now :joy: solid at room temp, melts at body temp so decent for making sticks of lube with. Cheap, edible, non harmful, smells good, lubricates well, happy days. Sometimes we warm it up prior so it’s already liquid.

3 Likes

I find there needs to be a lot of lube when I’m pegging my man - however after the first 5 minutes I generally wipe most away

2 Likes

We don’t use a whole lot of lube anymore for anything except anal play. Ever since wife went off hormonal birth control her natural state has been more than enough, with exception of some post-partum transitions. She doesn’t like when we lose all semblance of friction, and neither do I most of the time.

Otherwise, I always give her a dab of water-based lube around the head of her Womanizer before she uses it to help with the seal. We keep coconut oil in the bedroom for massage and I tend to do a lot of grinding on her as I finish that up before sliding in, so the coconut oil gets used in that way. And then I got a hearty tube of silicone lube to review that’s become a favorite to apply when I thrust between her breasts. Very glide-y! The silicone lube is also pretty pleasant for masturbating with my (non-silicone) strokers. I find it lasts better and is less sticky than water-based.

But when it comes to anal - coconut oil or water based, and there’s just really no such thing as too much in that situation, even if it makes for more cleanup.

2 Likes

We use water based (this one) and a decent amount as if we don’t, I find the friction hurts, even though I don’t struggle with getting wet.
I just asked him whether he finds there is less friction but he doesn’t.
We’ve always had this problem where no matter how aroused I am we need lube. He doesn’t mind at all and does all the reapplying as that act itself edges us a little.
Anyway, that lube I linked to above feels like water based but can be used for anal and doesn’t dry out as fast. So even though we do need to reapply depending on the length of the session, it’s the best we’ve found so far.

2 Likes

I like a bit of friction to be able to feel all the sensations during sex, hubby is the same although sometimes I am naturally so wet I feel like I should mop up a bit first :rofl: hubby likes a lubey hand job, but neither of us can stand anything that goes sticky

2 Likes

We’ve learned that the silicone body glide lubes are really effective. If you want that “slip slidin’ away” feeling, it definitely makes everything slide n’ glide for sure. However, the down side is that sometimes it can be too much as Oldman (OP) initially stated. It’s also a challenge to thoroughly wash out of clothing and sheets. Wait a minute…whose wearing clothing at a time like this, right?

On the other hand, coconut oil is an excellent alternative. Wife likes that because “it’s natural,” as she says, compared to the silicone product. In addition, it washes out much easier and it has a pleasant coconut smell identical to that of several popular suntan oils. So you can draw upon or fantasize about memories of laying out nude on a beach while you oil each other up.

Costco (probably Sam’s Club, too) has a GIANT 5 lb commercial size tub of coconut oil. When I initially saw it, first several pleasant memories came to mind…followed immediately by, "Holy crap! That would be enough lube for a lifetime…or perhaps a sports stadium size orgy, if one were to be hosted, LOL! So we just stick to the 16 or 32 oz size available in organic product stores such as Sprouts, here in the USA. It’s easier to manipulate in bed than a giant 5lb tub that could do harm if dropped on one’s partner in the middle of love making:

A potential Monday morning water cooler scenario with coworkers: “Wow, that’s a nasty bruise on your forehead, Greg! What happened…did you bang your head on a door?” “Yeah, I know it looks bad. Lynn feels pretty guilty about it. What happened is that the 5 lb tub of coconut oil from Costco that we use for play fun slipped out of her hands as she was lubing me up in bed with one hand and trying to put the tub back on the night stand with her other hand last night.” :neutral_face:

I like to avoid uncomfortable workplace discussions such as that. Hence why we buy the smaller 16 - 32 oz jar. :wink:

Lube… definitely needed in the peri-menopausal time (I assume postmenopausal too -time will tell).

Water based I have found to be the best.

I agree if there is too much lube it decreases stimulation/friction for PIV (I am female). Is it gross to say too much lube makes it more of a “sausage up the hallway” and “is it in yet” kind of moment?

1 Like

We use water based fisting lube for most things, but use a hybrid silicone one when my wife is fisting me

1 Like