Toys on a budget!!

How on earth does everyone decide which toys to buy when the pursestrings are a bit tight and there are so many to choose from.

We have only been with LH A short time and our wish lists are well beyond ours means!!

We Have decided the best way to go is have a wish list each, allow ourselves a monthly budget (which unfortunately is nowhere near enough) and choose an item off each list each month. If one of us wants an item which requires the whole budget then next month the other one gets to choose first.

Only hope we can stick to it - gonna be kind of frustrating though as we want it all NOW!!!Xx

I wait until things on our wishlist are on offer or there's a good discount code/free item offer floating about. But we've got a sizeable collection so it's not so hard waiting now as it was when we were starting out.

At the start we made full use of the 3 for offers and such to get a bit of everything we wanted, and with the items we liked the look of again we were prioritising items on offer over items we wanted that weren't on offer yet. We were also more strict with getting different types of toys, like don't buy another clitoral vibe (even if it is 'different'), buy a g-spot vibe instead.

Of course this isn't a perfect plan of action. Years later and I'm still waiting for the Njoy wand to go on offer! :p

I personally ONLY buy well known and well reviewed products! I read alot of sex toy blogs and buy the best reviewed toys! And rather pay a little more for a quality toy, otherways your toy can break in a matter of a couple uses or just be useless (no power, doesn´t do what it says...)! And never buy nothing that isn´t 100% bodysafe! So only:

-glass

-stainless steel

-abs-plastic

-100% silicone

- aluminium

-(+ceramic, polished wood, polished crystal/stone,)

And in some cases something other, if you know what it is and how to handle it safely... But never jelly, never ever jelly! it can cause some serious harm to you and your body.

But yes, I choose my toys based on reviews, not one or two, but many people all over the internet should recommend the product :)

I help I was any help, have a great time choosig and using ;)

I would be tempted to hold fire until saved up for quality rechargeable toys. These would probably work out more economical in the longer term as they would last longer and probably be more satisfying.

I would choose quality over quantity any day.

I think that in the beggining you have to try sheaper stuff before investing in something a better quality but that you don't know if you like.

To be honest most of our wish lists are lingerie based, but the toys are what I would call mid range in price so not too worried about quality. We do also spend a lot of time reading reviews as has been suggested.

It's all just sooooo exciting!!!

Toys need not be rechargeable if they are big enough to accept rechargeable batteries (which are a tiny bit bigger than alkaline ones) and you have - or are willing to invest in - a battery charger. The LH Bedtime 10 function controller takes rechargeables, the Tracy Cox Supersex doesn't.

As for deciding what to buy: Try to find out whether you like a category before you buy too many toys from it. Like I know for pretty sure that I don't like rigid dildos after trying two glass ones (one of which is a copy of a nJoy pure wand, so I don't need that either, yeah!) - give me silicone any time! I second Neitseelinen's advice regarding materials - that narrows the field! Try to stick to waterproof toys, that narrows the field further and clean them with hot water and the cheapest detergent you feel comfortable with (like a number of bloggers I consider sex toy cleaner superfluous).

Make full use of Lovehoney's special offers - you might want to subscribe to the French and/or German newsletters, they have different offers from the UK one (which of course you'll want to sign up for as well). The F/D websites also have had a different deal of the week for some time. And when the EU price has been determined some time back, it might be lower than the price in pounds (like forVixen dildos). I don't think there's any need to pay full price, ever! 20 % off coupons arrive very regularly in my mail... And it might be worth waiting with a purchase till there's a really interesting freebie (a few days ago LH gave away a G-spot Happy Rabbit for purchases over 50 pounds - how cool is that?)

Neitseellinen wrote:

And never buy nothing that isn´t 100% bodysafe! So only:

-glass

-stainless steel

-abs-plastic

-100% silicone

- aluminium

-(+ceramic, polished wood, polished crystal/stone,)

+1 - bodysafe only for me! Take advantage of DOTD, DOTW, 3 for £ etc.

Here are my favourite bodysafe under £20 toys:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33367

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=21149

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32877

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=30215

I only usually buy stuff if I feel like I'm getting a bargain. I have only been reusing lovehoney since November and already feel satisfied with my collection of toys and lingerie for the time being. As others have said it's better to save for better quality toys. However I only really find that the case with toys. I've been very happy with cheaper purchases of lingerie and lubes etc.
I think the best things to get first would be a good clitoral vibrator and lube if you don't already have any x

I've had enormous fun with budget toys since my first purchase last July. Especially the few bullets I've bought!

I've bought lots of things on offer so far, and have also been lucky enough to have been sent lingerie to test. All in all, I've had a fab time since joining LH.

The budget toys I've loved, I'm now saving for their luxury versions.

It's very exciting, especially when you're in that limbo between buying and waiting for the package to arrive! I have to admit, though, that having a smaller budget is a bit of a pain. I do believe it makes me appreciate my purchases a bit more, and I love buying when there's a free gift or discount, too.

I also bought a charger and re-chargeable batteries - I've only had one toy that doesn't take them and I don't use it very often - I also remove my batteries after use if I know I'm not going to use something for a while. It helps them last longer.

VR, would you please tell me which of your toys does not take rechargeable batteries? I'm trying to compile a complete mental list (hmm, should we write one out here?) of which toys do and which don't...

Talia - I know definitely that the LH Humdinger doesn't take them. Well, it DOES take them, but when they're in they're in, and I had a hell of a job getting them out (damaging the batteries at the same time).

To be fair, one of the reviewers did mention this, but stupid me forgot.

I'm having another "forget" moment now. I'll check my collection and get back to you if there are any more tomorrow.

Thanks, VR! That saves me from buying the Humdinger!

Hi Talia.

I checked them out and they all take re-chargeables except the Humdinger. Did they make the battery tubes a bit tighter in order to stop the battery rattle some people complain about, do you think?

I wonder if they'd consider putting some kind of sleeve inside them instead so we could have the option of removing it to make it wide enough to take re-chargeables.

Or maybe it's just one of those quirks in the Humdinger alone.

VR wrote:

I wonder if they'd consider putting some kind of sleeve inside them instead so we could have the option of removing it to make it wide enough to take re-chargeables.

Or maybe it's just one of those quirks in the Humdinger alone.

I don't think they'd change the toy's diameter and add a sleeve - firstly because the mould for the Humdiniger (I'm assuming the shape is cast) is now made and making another one is hardly worth it. Secondly making an extra sleeve is probably much more costly than making a smaller tube - and somebody has to put the sleeve into the toy. Thirdly I don't think that manufacturers prioritize their toys' capacity to take rechargeable batteries (apart from Fun Factory) - after all, if you can use recharcheable batteries you have one less reason to buy a rechargeable toy (which is so much more expensive that the battery-operated one that I can't believe the difference is due to only the battery price!)

It's not just the Humdinger who can't take rechargeable batteries: There's also the Tracy Cox Supersex wired controllers (as on the "tulip" clit vibe and the butt plug that won't stay in), and somebody here in the forum complained about a Dr. Kaplan toy - was it the power probe? Or the flickering tongue?

Last but not least, the Mini-Maglite (penlight) is also so small it only takes alcaline batteries :(

Ah. I'm a torch fanatic. And a re-chargeables fanatic. Like to think I helping out Mother Earth a little bit!

I'm now off to see if my new lightweight Ring LED torch will take r/cs.

I'm not a freak, honestly. I have a bit of an issue with my eyesight at low light.

I have the Tulip vibe and I'm sure I got r/cs in it.

My Tenscare iTouch also says no r/cs so I haven't tried. The Duracells I put in first a few months ago are still going strong so I don't feel so bad now (and amazingly they were use by Jul 2015!).

I always remove my batteries as I'd had problems with Duracells years ago fizzing and damaging the contacts. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the info.

Use your wishlists and sign up for the offer emails. I generally try to wait on a item until it is part of an offer or I have a discount code. I also utilize the free shipping amounts and that cuts down on overall cost.

Welcome and enjoy!

Use your wishlists and sign up for the offer emails. I generally try to wait on a item until it is part of an offer or I have a discount code. I also utilize the free shipping amounts and that cuts down on overall cost.

Welcome and enjoy!

Have done this and just bought some lingerie with an offer and free postage so made a start lol

Also keeping fingers crossed that we might be lucky enough to be chosen for a sex toy tester product sometime, and maybe even win a competition (have entered several so who knows).

Got to try all means possible as I am a little on the 'want it now' side of things xxx