when do you put your Christmas decorations up

S&S wrote:

My birthday is the 15th so its always after that so that I actually get a birthday.

What's a birthday?

(24th here)

Mr Socks wrote:

FrozenAngel wrote:

12 days before Christmas and then they're taken down 12 days after Christmas! It's bad luck otherwise!

Well my mother and my gran always said it was bad luck, and when I got my own house and had my very first Christmas there I was so excited, and my mother told me NOT to put them up because it was bad luck but well I called her a crazy Irish fool lol and put them up, Never again will I put them up before the 12days. As I had a right ordeal, which involved a broken TV, a bashed up Christmas tree, a power cut due to a curtain pole that apparently was a flight risk. All within a few hours of putting up the tree. xx

We adopt the same policy for purposes of tradition/available time; not sure we'd want them up any sooner really. As for superstition — aren't you a scientist? It's highly improbable any of that resulted from putting the decorations up too soon; coincidence and misfortune often go hand in hand, just as imps (not Father Christmas' elves though) and mischief.

Decorations should come down at Epiphany anyway (if not, allegedly they're supposed to remain until Easter — the Pope/Archbishop of Cant. are explicit on this and get annoyed if you don't), though I'm sure any time aound then would be fine.

LOL I know Mr Socks! I know it doesn't actually have anything to do with the Christmas tree and was conincidental bad timing! But it will be 12 days before and after from now on! If only to stop my mother telling me she told me so.

2 weeks before

All those who get a joint birthday/Xmas present I really do feel for you. Not to bad if it's something like a car but when it's aftershave then thanks but with get me 2 different bottles or I'm gonna do same to you even if ur birthday is June. 2 can play that one.

At some point during the first week of December.
I'm annoyingly excited about it. I'm hoping this year the littles don't destroy the tree again.

Holz105 wrote:

I'm annoyingly excited about it. I'm hoping this year the littles don't destroy the tree again.

My cats always destory my tree, they like to sit in it ,climb on it ,knock the baubles off ,pull the tinsel off they drive me crazy they think its kitties play ground lol im always re doing it as the tree is placed in the window so looks so messy after a cat attack :(

We usually put ours up in December but seeing as I won't be at uni over Christmas and I'm a reponsible adult living alone I am going to put mine up some time next week :D

I love the whole atmosphere of Christmas but obviously we don't do anything. I loved it at uni though because we always used to decorate the flat all Christmassy with a couple of Jewish things thrown in there. :P

I've decided though, when I have my own place I'm putting decorations up, getting a tree and I'll put a star of David on the top. I don't care if my Dad doesn't like it...he doesn't have to come visit, haha.

Lovehoney - Stephanie wrote:

Stuburns wrote:

After my birthday which is the 13th otherwise my birthday becomes a joint Xmas. I hate that.

My birthday is the 14th and I'm the same! I've tried to implement this in the office too but they're not having any of it haha

We have 2 family birthdays in mid Dec so decorations have always gone up after that. I think last year it was Christmas Eve before I got round to decorating the tree as the "kids" are too old to want to help.

LilMissMardyBum wrote:

Holz105 wrote:

My cats always destory my tree, they like to sit in it ,climb on it ,knock the baubles off ,pull the tinsel off they drive me crazy they think its kitties play ground lol im always re doing it as the tree is placed in the window so looks so messy after a cat attack :(

I didn't know cats could fly until we put our tree up on year. Our wee one went from being asleep at the other side of the room to flying through the air and landingg halfway up a 6ft tree!

My oh birthday is the 14th December and he doesn't think that Christmas should start until after then and I mean everything present buying, food, cards the works. I said thats fine as long as he did it all!! Decorations are a bugbear I mention them from the 1st and they usually go up the 20th lol.

1st December, and they come down 1st January. Doubly excited this year as it's our new home, we can really go all out with the decorations! Can't wait!

Ours go up the first week in December,

we need to go steady this year though, as we'r going away on Boxing Day for some sun!

Which means we want as little as possible to take down on Christmas night/when we get back.

1st saturday of December. we love all the chtistmas lights, it looks so cosey.

Poppicat wrote:

LilMissMardyBum wrote:

Holz105 wrote:

I didn't know cats could fly until we put our tree up on year. Our wee one went from being asleep at the other side of the room to flying through the air and landingg halfway up a 6ft tree!

ha ha that i would have loved to have seen,they sure can move when they want to

I hope that the plan works for your birthday this year :)

And cats oh yes they sure like christmas trees and shiny tinsel and bauble, i have a couple of pictures of my cat sat in my christmas tree last year, i could have cried :( as she wrecked all the branches the tree looked awful,

Lovehoney - Stephanie wrote:
Stuburns wrote:
After my birthday which is the 13th otherwise my birthday becomes a joint Xmas. I hate that.
My birthday is the 14th and I'm the same! I've tried to implement this in the office too but they're not having any of it haha

December 18th baby checking in. Can confirm.

Do you find that every year your birthday party turns into a Christmas party? Sigh.

As for decorations - always go December 8th and down on January 6th. But maybe that's cause I'm Irish!

Yes every damn year. It wasn't my fault I was born near Xmas so is it too much to ask that I'm allowed to celebrate my birthday the same as all the folk that don't share it with the 2 months that are Xmas.
Let this be truth to all of you "don't get us a bigger Xmas present or a joint Xmas/birthday present, we hate that"

Not till after my brithday!! No one in my family is allowed to say anything about xmas till after my birthday, its not so bad coz my bday is on the 23rd of Nov :D

The first weekend of December

I'd put them up now if I could
Then I'd open the roses and get mince pies and jelly fruits