White Tattoo

I have been thinking about getting another tattoo. I have one that I had done a few years ago on my lower abdomen / hip bone area. For my next one I was thinking a white one on my shoulder blade. I like the white because it's not so "in your face" like normal tattoos.

Does anyone have a white tattoo?

I don't have one myself but I do love them, what design are you thinking about getting? :)

I was thinking of a "Healing Angel" but it will be one I drew / designed myself.

That's a really sweet idea and personalised tattoos like that are always my favourites - you'll have to keep us updated!

they dont age well , white is hard to work into the skin , when you tan they tend to look a little nicotene stainy , and more often than not , if you dont go to someone who's had a lot of practice with white work / black light tattooing it can end up quite a mess .

rubysoho wrote:

they dont age well , white is hard to work into the skin , when you tan they tend to look a little nicotene stainy , and more often than not , if you dont go to someone who's had a lot of practice with white work / black light tattooing it can end up quite a mess .

I know all the advice sites say go to smeone that knows what they are doing because not everyone can do a white tattoo and also pay extra for high grade ink as apparently there are diffrent grades. Apparently the pigmentation of your skin have a lot to do with how the white age.

Do you have any white tattoos Ruby?

KittyStar wrote:

That's a really sweet idea and personalised tattoos like that are always my favourites - you'll have to keep us updated!

Thank you Kitty I will keep yo updated!

its also how its worked into your skin . a lot of artists make the mistake of hammering it in as its difficult to get in at the best of times , leaving scarring .

i dont have any soley white tattoos no , i dont have enough space , plus i tend to react badly when white ink is applied to me ..

My other tattoo has black, red and white, although the white is basically all gone and the red about 45% gone. Which is probably why I am still a little undecided. My tattoo was not done in the UK so it was most likely done with a different grade of ink. I don't want to get a tattoo, just to have it vanish in 2 years.

@Ruby - your hair looks really nice

its a general risk with white to be honest . i do tattoos so i know how hard white is to work with -- BALLACHE tbh !

thank you .. my hair shall be blonde again soon :) x

White does fad easy. I have white in my tattoo that I had done about 3 years ago and it's almost all gone.

I read somewhere that there are diffrent grades of ink (mayb Rubysoho can help with the true or false of that) Apparently the white used in 'nornal' tattoos are a lower grade ink, which is why it fades a lot quicker. That is why it is advised to used th higher grade white, with an all white tattoo.

its SORT of true .. you can buy all sorts of ink , some are rubbish some are great .. its not true white used in ' normal ' tattoos is different as white tattoos are just normal tattoos also . white JUST DOES fade . whatever brand ink you use youre looking at a lot of patchiness after a couple years regardless and like i say a yucky nicoteney colour when you tan . i think its just another fad personally but each to their own .

The white in my tattoo gas completely faded

I have an all white tattoo down my right hand side. I had it done about five years ago and it has faded but not enough that I regret having it done. I still love it but before I got it I did know about the problems with fading and discolouration and figured that if it didn't turnout the way I liked I could always have it re done in a different colour. I know a lot of tattoo artists don't recommend them and it did take me a while to find an artist that I trusted who would do it. I would get it done but only if you are willing to have it redone in another colour if it doesn't work out.

White tattoos have a tendancy to go yellow-ish over time, and they don't age well at all.

You'll probably find that a lot of tattooists will refuse to do an entirely white tattoo for this reason. They don't want you to be left with a mess in 20 years time, and also, they don't want you to be wearing a piece of their artwork which won't last as well.

Most of my tattooists won't even add any block white to my colour tattoos, I think white has only been used in my tattoos as a blend to lighten colours, or as minimal highlights (like the eyes on my birds which are as big as the top of the nail).

I would recommend if you want to look into this further that you visit a reputable custom tattooist (not someone who just does flash - an actual artist) and ask their opinion. Whatever they tell you, listen - they know what they're on about! :P

RedKitsune wrote:

I have an all white tattoo down my right hand side. I had it done about five years ago and it has faded but not enough that I regret having it done. I still love it but before I got it I did know about the problems with fading and discolouration and figured that if it didn't turnout the way I liked I could always have it re done in a different colour. I know a lot of tattoo artists don't recommend them and it did take me a while to find an artist that I trusted who would do it. I would get it done but only if you are willing to have it redone in another colour if it doesn't work out.

Did you have your tattoo done in the UK?

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

White tattoos have a tendancy to go yellow-ish over time, and they don't age well at all.

You'll probably find that a lot of tattooists will refuse to do an entirely white tattoo for this reason. They don't want you to be left with a mess in 20 years time, and also, they don't want you to be wearing a piece of their artwork which won't last as well.

Most of my tattooists won't even add any block white to my colour tattoos, I think white has only been used in my tattoos as a blend to lighten colours, or as minimal highlights (like the eyes on my birds which are as big as the top of the nail).

I would recommend if you want to look into this further that you visit a reputable custom tattooist (not someone who just does flash - an actual artist) and ask their opinion. Whatever they tell you, listen - they know what they're on about! :P

I know the white tattoos are often explained as 'gothic scars' rather than tattoos. Some people doesn't like it but I do.

Most of the UK Tattooists I have contacted have little - no experience with all white tattoos. I do however have an appointment to discuss options with one artist (who is based 30miles away).

Smokeyj wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

I know the white tattoos are often explained as 'gothic scars' rather than tattoos. Some people doesn't like it but I do.

Most of the UK Tattooists I have contacted have little - no experience with all white tattoos. I do however have an appointment to discuss options with one artist (who is based 30miles away).

Fantastic! It sounds like you've done the right thing there :)

I haven't heard of them referred to as gothic scars before, I'm intrigued! Are you sure this isn't scarification? I think that a white tattoo could look amazing, I would just be worried about what it may look like in 10-15 years is all. Bare in mind that your shoulder blade is quite likely to see sunshine (if we get any!!) so will fade quicker than an area less likely to see sun.

An alternative could be to look into UV tattoo ink? These are usually paler and they have the added benefit of glowing under UV light! ^_^

I'd love to know how you get on, and what the tattooist advises you :) Good luck with it!

"A very experianced tattoo artist that I know said that white ink is translucent, rather than opaque. That means that if you have brown skin it won't bleach it white, but just lighten it. A perusal of Suicidegirls shows quite a few girls with gorgeous white ink as part of a tattoo.

An all white tattoo, several years old, on a pale friend of mine, looks rather like a network of beautiful gothic scars. Which has it's own appeal.

I'd imagine checking the artists book for previous white ink tats would be a good idea.
posted by http://www.metafilter.com/user/43234 at http://ask.metafilter.com/48321/White-Tattoos-Yay-or-Nay#735137 on October 10, 2006

looks rather like a network of beautiful gothic scars.

Yes, that's exactly how I'd describe them, they look like scars rather than tattoos. So if you're into that...
posted by http://www.metafilter.com/user/17537 at http://ask.metafilter.com/48321/White-Tattoos-Yay-or-Nay#735144 on October 10, 2006 I know a black guy with a white ink tattoo and it looks cool. Kind of like a ghostly shadow on his skin.
posted by http://www.metafilter.com/user/2330 at http://ask.metafilter.com/48321/White-Tattoos-Yay-or-Nay#735170 on October 10, 2006"

http://whiteinktattoos.the-real-way.com/

I know quite a few members have tattoos (and LH is world wide) so was hoping to get some feedback from people who have had it done. I will ook at the UV ink as an option :))