Would you make a claim for your toy collection on a home insurance claim??

Hi everyone....I have home contents insurance. In the event of a home disaster such as a fire would you make a claim for your toy collection?? I'm not sure if you are allowed to or not...what do you think? Or have you had personal experience at making such a claim?

Oops!! I just realised I've put this on the introduce me forum instead of off topic forum.....

I would if it was really worth it, I mean most bondage gear etc I wouldn't care about, but when your talking about things in excess of £100, I'd probably claim then.

I'd definitely contemplate it. Our collection is worth a fair amount all added together!

I'd definitely consider it, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to although I'm not well versed in the ins and outs of home insurance! If it was expensive enough that I couldn't easily replace it then I don't see why not, basically seconding Raven on this one.

You would be able to claim no problems! You would probably only claim in the event of a fire or someone stealing lots of your stuff inc toys (Who?)!

I probably would if all lost as we have spent well over £1000 on here, and that was at last total about a year ago!

I thought modern day contents insurance didn't require you to state exactly what you were claiming for? They give you fixed lump sums depending on your policy kinda thing. Maybe I have researched this wrong! D:

I would definitely try to claim, whatever their opinion of me may be they are still high cost items!

Definitely. I can think of two items straight away that would total to £200. That's without adding dildos, hitty-whacky things and bondage items into the mix. I reckon I'm looking at £500-£1000 to replace everything if it was destroyed or stolen, though guessing they steal my crappy tv before my sex toys, moron burgular!! Lol!

I wouldn't care if I had to declare ever item I was replacing either, they couldn't refuse on the grounds I'm a kinky so and so :)

x

Deffinately! About a grand there!

As my sex toy collection is everything to do with my career from writing to coaching and domming, yes I would. Particularly the dungeon equipment and vintage products and customs too.

I had never thought about this. I suppose I should add the toys and lingerie to the general contents value but to be honest like with books, clothes etc in the event of a fire I wouldn't bother to replace them all, just the absolute must haves.

I can picture the loss adjuster in the bedroom picking up melted plastic lube bottles, the remains of a silicone vibrator, a glass dildo and some exploded batteries and wondering what on earth this "elderly" couple get up to!

As far as theft goes I can't see a market for a second hand wand so who'd bother. I suppose a burglar might trash the place- another interesting scenario when the police arrive-but the excess would mean a claim for any individual item wasn't worthwhile.

I would certainly think about it!

Yes I would, no doubt. Just in case. I mean you never know. Stranger things have happened than a dildo or vibrator getting nicked! American pie for examle lol! x

No it would be in with everything else now my dvd collection on the other hand especially my Who, Prisoner Cell block H my 007 case gunmetal brief case with 22 Bond films in I would.

Definitely would! We've spent way too much on toys from here. Mind you, it would be an odd burglar who stole used sex toys. Although the cuffs would be handy for a citizens arrest!

Never thought about a claim. My OH stresses about a burglary and "bits and pieces" strewn all over the place when the constabulary arrive. Wonder if LH intend putting wall/floor safes on the catalogue.

Thanks guys...I love all your replies. I always do a yearly inventory of my household items and put it in my fireproof box....I think I'll add my toys to the list, as like some of you I have an ever increasing collection...X

Lovebirds_x wrote:

I thought modern day contents insurance didn't require you to state exactly what you were claiming for? They give you fixed lump sums depending on your policy kinda thing. Maybe I have researched this wrong! D:

I would definitely try to claim, whatever their opinion of me may be they are still high cost items!

You would still need to tell the loss adjustor/claims people what you are claiming for so that they can see about getting a replacement from suppliers (cheaper for them) or paying you for them.

The type of policy you are talking about sound like what is known as a "Blanket" policy. E.g. you live in a 2 bed semi so 60,000 for contents is enough - These types of policies could leave you not covered correctly as they usually have quite low valuables cover. Always best to check. But you would still need to specify what you are claiming for.

Also, just because it says you are covered for 60k, they won't pay you 60k unless you actually have it! If you only have 20k's worth of stuff then that's what you'll be paid not 60k. Doesn't go the other way though, if you have 100k and are covered for 60k, in this instance you'd probably be paid about 35k in the event of a claim for everything.

(Been working in car and home insurance for about 9 years now...)

Think I just made this thread boring! :D