Any musical types here?

If so, what do you play? Are you part of a band? How long you been playing?

Duno if sort of answer you're after but I play euphonium (brass equivalent of a cello, when played good) and double B-flat tuba - HUGE and VERY deep toned!! Can play tin whistle and piano ok but brass my thing. Am in two bands - a good competing brass band on tuba and a a skills instructor with a scout & guide band, teach kids to play and march.

I learnt to play recorder when I was 5 (didn't everyone??), piano aged 7, cello at 9. Started on a tenor horn when I was 8 which's when I joinded the s&g band. Got grade 1 on piano aged 8, grade 2 on cello aged 10 - gave both up when I was 10 to stick with brass. Gave up tenor horn and moved on down the lower brass section - grade 3 on baritone age 11, then grade 4 age 12 and stopped at grade 5 on b-flat tuba, passed that one with honours!!! Was in whole load of bands/orchestras when I was younger - Youth Bands, Army Cadet Band and local orchestras, not to mention the s&g band!!! And summer band school, well busy was I!!!

Played at amazing places - Arneham, toured Germany 3/4 times. Most AMAZING and nerve wracking (so far) a solo at the Royal Albert Hall aged 12 on euph. The arena is REALLY small by the way! Played there bout 4 times. Got the Nationals this yr and altho 4mths away am already getting nervous!!!! love my music and love the euphenisms - double tongue-ing any1?!D69x

Me !

I play Piano , Guitar & Steel Drums . Started with a Recorder many moons ago .

Have been in a band , but as a singer .

xL-Yx

when I say solo I mean with the s&g band, not on my own!!!! I do like playing solos tho, my fav and most fun peice ever is Tuba Smarties on E flat bass :)x

One of my biggest regrets is that I was never encouraged to learn a musical instrument when I was a child, and that I didn't find the motivation to do so myself -- nobody in my family was into music at any level. I've subsequently discovered that I have some musical aptitude, but I doubt that it would be straightforward for me to learn to play now.

Guitar. I play Rock and Roll.

I love all kinds of music, and so I'm interested in playing all kinds too!

I play(ed?) guitar... Haven't for a long time though... Anyway played and sung in a band when I was younger. I swear my voice has broken and I can no longer sing though ;D... Bloody awful at it now, and the lisp doesn't help.

I also play keyboard, could never afford a piano xD

Aaaaaandddd... Recently started learning violin.=)

Cuddly Hubby wrote:

One of my biggest regrets is that I was never encouraged to learn a musical instrument when I was a child, and that I didn't find the motivation to do so myself -- nobody in my family was into music at any level. I've subsequently discovered that I have some musical aptitude, but I doubt that it would be straightforward for me to learn to play now. External Media

You're never too old to learn :) It just takes a bit of patience. I've been a bedroom noodler on guitar for 20+ years. Was in a couple of bands when i was younger and played a couple of small places in the surrounding towns but never really made anything of it, which i always regretted. My music teachers always tried to push me to go to a rock college up in Perth but as a 16 year old kid, the prospect of being so far from friends and family was too daunting so i never did it. Now i'm stuck in a shitty job when i could have made something better of myself :P

And yeah Divine, i wanted to know about musical folks...whatever the instrument. It's nice to know there are other folk here with an appreciation of it all. And Booties, if Susan Boyle can get somewhere with a face like a slapped arse, i'm sure a lisp is nothing to worry about :P

Dunno if it really counts, but I used to do a bit of bellringing. I'm seriously tone-deaf, so never really got on with actual musical instruments, but bellringing is more about maths. Still wasn't that great at it - you still have to be able to listen, but at least I had a vague idea of what I was doing.

I bet no one saw this one coming?

I used to play the bagpipes! Not played in years, doubt I'd have the puff to get them going let alone play them now!

Played the sax a long time ago. It was easy, it's the same as playing a recorder.

YesChef wrote:

Dunno if it really counts, but I used to do a bit of bellringing. I'm seriously tone-deaf, so never really got on with actual musical instruments, but bellringing is more about maths. Still wasn't that great at it - you still have to be able to listen, but at least I had a vague idea of what I was doing.

Yeah, it counts :P It's nice to see such a range of things too. Bells, guitars, bagpipes, recorders, violins, saxophones? Would make for a really weird but interesting orchestra.

Oh...and as a resident of bagpipe country, i should say i like them at times but depends on my mood really.

Clown Feet wrote:

Cuddly Hubby wrote:

One of my biggest regrets is that I was never encouraged to learn a musical instrument when I was a child, and that I didn't find the motivation to do so myself -- nobody in my family was into music at any level. I've subsequently discovered that I have some musical aptitude, but I doubt that it would be straightforward for me to learn to play now. External Media

You're never too old to learn :) It just takes a bit of patience. I've been a bedroom noodler on guitar for 20+ years. Was in a couple of bands when i was younger and played a couple of small places in the surrounding towns but never really made anything of it, which i always regretted. My music teachers always tried to push me to go to a rock college up in Perth but as a 16 year old kid, the prospect of being so far from friends and family was too daunting so i never did it. Now i'm stuck in a shitty job when i could have made something better of myself :P

And yeah Divine, i wanted to know about musical folks...whatever the instrument. It's nice to know there are other folk here with an appreciation of it all. And Booties, if Susan Boyle can get somewhere with a face like a slapped arse, i'm sure a lisp is nothing to worry about :P

External Mediatotally agree with Clown Feet - Chubbyhubby U R NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN! Wotever it is you fancy playing give it a go.................you never know til you try! Get this - my Dad learnt to play B-flat tuba, with a little help from me, at the age of 50 and he'd not learnt when he was younger. He now plays wickedly good keyboard ('60's stylee) and guitar - ALL self taught.

Glad you didn't mind my waffle Clown Feet!External Media Got abit more - just 2 things. When I was younger i ALWAYS wanted to play the French horn (beautiful and VERY expensive!) but my music teacher told me my chops were too big so I wouldn't be able to play one! I was 10 then and 21yrs later I remember it like it was yesterday ! I very much doubt music teachers would be allowed to say anything like that now, too upsetting for child. Glad I don't play 1 as I'd not be able to play in brass bands! And brass players have the most funExternal Media!! The other thing, music related, is that for several yrs I hankered at being in the army as a musician and after passing grade 5 so well I thought I was all set but then the conductor of the youth band I was in said I'd have to learn the trombone and that (thank-fully) put me RIGHT off the whole idea. At the time you see I HATED trombones, I really don't remember why now tho!! Now I quite fancy the idea of being able to play one but they are really hard to learn - I just think it would be so cool to play Jonny Briggs (theme tune, you know it?!!) Maybe when my arm is stronger so I can take weight of it..........mind you I don't practise my euph enough!

Booties - nice one!! Played well the violin is supa sweet, Ilike them in folky tunes :) HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!! tELL YOU WHAT see if you can get hold of music books with cds - that way you feel more like tou're playing with an orchestra. It's well good fun (when I do practise!) - I've got 2 walt disney bks with cds and its sooo cool having the solo part and feeling like you're actually IN the band/orchestra. Blimey, I might have to go and have a blow now!! (O the eupenisms!!!!)External MediaD69x

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Clown Feet wrote:

Oh...and as a resident of bagpipe country, i should say i like them at times but depends on my mood really.

Like, not when you are waiting for a train and there is guy playing them right next to the only bench available to sit down!

They do have their time and place. I must have driven my parents and my neighbours up the wall when I played. I was a good girl and always practiced every day!

sexy little minx wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Clown Feet wrote:

Like, not when you are waiting for a train and there is guy playing them right next to the only bench available to sit down!

They do have their time and place. I must have driven my parents and my neighbours up the wall when I played. I was a good girl and always practiced every day!

Alrite smartypants!!! I used to practice every day for 2wks before an exam and always fluked them! I think the only reason I got Honours at grade 5 was becoz the examiner was amazed a 15 yr old lass was actually playing a b-flat tuba!! I had to sit on the yellow pages and a cushion just to reach the mouthpiece - and I wasn't 9andstill not) short then!!External Media used to kill my back when I marched with it tho......

I used to play drums in a band,about ten years ago. Last summer, tried it again, but must have been going to hard, as i ended up going to A & E with tendonitus! It hurt.

Me! I'm looking at investing in a soprano saxophone at the moment. They're lovely.

I'm quite out of practice, but I play guitar. Can also turn my hand to bass, and would like a bit more practice at drums. Hell i'd just like more practice making noise, it's what i live for !

Clown Feet wrote:

You're never too old to learn :) It just takes a bit of patience.

I'm sure that's true. I tried to teach myself guitar a few years ago, but I felt incredibly self-conscious about it, even when I practised on my own. It just felt completely unfamiliar and out-of-place for me to attempt it, since nobody around me has ever played or learnt to play an instrument. I think they were expecting great results right away, rather than the inevitable awful mistakes.

Divine69 wrote:

External Mediatotally agree with Clown Feet - Chubbyhubby U R NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN! Wotever it is you fancy playing give it a go.................you never know til you try! Get this - my Dad learnt to play B-flat tuba, with a little help from me, at the age of 50 and he'd not learnt when he was younger. He now plays wickedly good keyboard ('60's stylee) and guitar - ALL self taught.

Chubbyhubby? *checks in mirror* I don't think I'm quite there yet. External Media

That's an encouraging story -- thanks!

soryy!!! Cuddly Hubby! My mistook I obviously didn't have my reading eyes in! D69x