Beach season: what would you find acceptable as swimwear?

I’m very self conscious when it comes to swim wear. It’s one of the only times a mass population gets to see you in something that could resemble your underwear or bear flesh.

I understand that everyone has different forms of acceptance of sizing and shape when it comes to swim wear for both men and women, but what would be your preferred type of swim wear on a male/female?

There’s so much swim wear on the market now; from surfing, to dress style suits, also don’t forget the bikini.

In 1954 beaches started to allow men in just trunks and women in extra-brief bikinis. Basically simple bathing and wash clothes were permitted in public, now modern clothing have taken a set further.... I’m sure you haven’t seen some of the bikinis out there being sold as wash clothes? Also bikinis and swim wear in general didn’t use to be so firm fitting, what do you think of firmly figure cut bikinis/ shorts?

Anyway me rambling once again, mainly asking as I wonder if I would be accepted in a bikini but really do wish to know peoples personal opinion more.

Why wouldn't you be accepted in a bikini?? I mean, now people go topless!

I wear a tankini style - shorts on the bottom and a triangle halter-neck style top. It makes me feel more confident wearing this and leaves a little more material to cover my tummy.

But to be honest I think anything is acceptable nowadays - it's what you're comfortable wearing.

The only think I don't enjoy seeing (but is still classed as acceptable) is a man in a skimpy pair of speedo's. *Just* my opinion you understand but I don't find it attractive at all!

I quite like men in a pair of trunks/shorts and as for women - it doesn't bother me; swimsuit or bikini.

The only other thing that bugs me and follows on from your comment of swimwear like being underwear - people walking around the supermarket in their swimwear (for example). This I personally don't find acceptable. Why? I don't know - I just think, you're in the supermarket so cover up!!

Why are you feeling self conscious? Whether male or female there are different things to suit different shapes. Fashion mags often have articles on what suits different figures in their summer issues. Hi legs are more flattering than shirts imo, but need more balls to wear :D my tummy is not as taut as I'd like and therefore my least favourite feature, but i tend to go for a bikini anyway as I think they are prettier and I can wear bikini top and denim shorts/skirt on the beach/around house.

My pet hate is padded bikini cups on small boobs. Small boobs are hot too, but if you cover them with blatant padding you look like a desperate schoolgirl. IMO :)

Possum wrote:

My pet hate is padded bikini cups on small boobs. Small boobs are hot too, but if you cover them with blatant padding you look like a desperate schoolgirl. IMO :)

Some of us require padding to *not* look like a school girl unfortunately. Also I hate my nipples so padded bikinis hide them!

Personally I always wear a bikini as it's what I feel most comfortable in but I think you should wear whatever you like!

The main thing I'm not a fan on is thongs on the beach - I'm not sure why, I have less of an issue with people going topless so it's not the near nudity - maybe it's just because it's not really the norm but it just doesn't appeal to me!

I love really bright coloured swimwear that's a bit different but comfort is the main thing!

Adx

Possum wrote:

Why are you feeling self conscious? Whether male or female there are different things to suit different shapes.

I'll probably go for one of those 19th Century diving suits. External Media

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Some of us require padding to *not* look like a school girl unfortunately. Also I hate my nipples so padded bikinis hide them!

Exactly this!

I tend to wear swimsuits, as I'd rather leave something up to the imagination, you know? I don't like my tummy either, so the costume covers this, as well as elongating my stubby legs! Pretty much everything seems acceptable these days, but I personally like to see girls looking comfortable and casual and like they're having fun on the beach. I hate it when they're obviously contesting for the most "perv glances", you know? Whatever you're comfortable in is the best!

Anything is fine. Nothing at all is also fine. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

Everybody has a body, and we're all naked under our clothes. Nudity has been sexualised by society, and while I realise it's a strange thing to advocate on a sex-positive forum, I think we should be able to deal with nudity in a non-sexual way. Conversely, we all seem happy with the idea of dressing up to look sexier, so why do so many people have trouble with showing their bodies?

I blame the media...

I'm not sure what the law actually is? I love the idea of going nude/topless on the beach and I've been told that being topless is actually legal, but you never see it and I don't fancy getting arrested. There's no nude beaches within easy reach of me either.

I always go with a bikini - it's not about showing the most skin but it is about being sexy, for me. My current fav bikini has quite modest brief style bottoms and a very flattering top that shows loads of cleavage but actually covers quite a lot of skin because its got full coverage on the lower and side parts of my breasts. It's a colour that looks great with my skin tone and it's flattering for my body type. I think what's important is wearing something you're comfortable in.

Krys wrote:

I'm not sure what the law actually is? I love the idea of going nude/topless on the beach and I've been told that being topless is actually legal, but you never see it and I don't fancy getting arrested. There's no nude beaches within easy reach of me either.

I always go with a bikini - it's not about showing the most skin but it is about being sexy, for me. My current fav bikini has quite modest brief style bottoms and a very flattering top that shows loads of cleavage but actually covers quite a lot of skin because its got full coverage on the lower and side parts of my breasts. It's a colour that looks great with my skin tone and it's flattering for my body type. I think what's important is wearing something you're comfortable in.

it is illegal to be naked and topless in public, so as long as you don't get cuaght and reported it is legal, if that makes sense. Also it is illegal to only wear underwear in public to cover genitals. Nudest beaches aren't actually legal but are acceptable areas for people to bath nude such as nautrists. You also have to take into bylaws, some places will have certain by laws involving clothing, from being able to rest on a country path. Then there's private proety laws, a lot of areas you think are public are private but allow the public to act as guests.

Dirty Red Angel wrote:

Why wouldn't you be accepted in a bikini?? I mean, now people go topless!

I wear a tankini style - shorts on the bottom and a triangle halter-neck style top. It makes me feel more confident wearing this and leaves a little more material to cover my tummy.

But to be honest I think anything is acceptable nowadays - it's what you're comfortable wearing.

The only think I don't enjoy seeing (but is still classed as acceptable) is a man in a skimpy pair of speedo's. *Just* my opinion you understand but I don't find it attractive at all!

I quite like men in a pair of trunks/shorts and as for women - it doesn't bother me; swimsuit or bikini.

The only other thing that bugs me and follows on from your comment of swimwear like being underwear - people walking around the supermarket in their swimwear (for example). This I personally don't find acceptable. Why? I don't know - I just think, you're in the supermarket so cover up!!

I have a lot of scars over my body, which don't help. But really I'm nervous to go outside even in jeans and a top, well basically anything... For me going outside and doing anything can be very hard so wearing a bikini can be a lot harder than some. I'd also worry about that little bit of stomach fat most of us have under the belly button. Partly as some shorts and briefs could dig in even if they are the correctsize, I always find this a tricky area even with underwear some things don't dg and others do even if there's loads of room.

Mr Monster wrote:

Anything is fine. Nothing at all is also fine. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

Everybody has a body, and we're all naked under our clothes. Nudity has been sexualised by society, and while I realise it's a strange thing to advocate on a sex-positive forum, I think we should be able to deal with nudity in a non-sexual way. Conversely, we all seem happy with the idea of dressing up to look sexier, so why do so many people have trouble with showing their bodies?

I blame the media...

External Media

Well said that monster!

Alicia D'amore wrote:

even those of us with bigger boobs need a bit of padding to stop nipples poking out!

My swimsuit is a one peice thing, with a bra in it and a short style bottom on the thing. it's quite form fitting and a "control" style one. wasn't looking for the control part, but it was the only suit with a bra in it, which i feel is necassary

I cannot really go to beach, because I am too self conscious of my body. I do have scars a lot and my skin does look marked in some places. I love swimming, but I gave it up few years ago apart from the small village at see where we lived at the end of the village, no tourists, no beaches really and no people. I love that.

sweetlove666 wrote:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

even those of us with bigger boobs need a bit of padding to stop nipples poking out!

My swimsuit is a one peice thing, with a bra in it and a short style bottom on the thing. it's quite form fitting and a "control" style one. wasn't looking for the control part, but it was the only suit with a bra in it, which i feel is necassary

I rip the padding out :) Hate it!!! but I am a 36E.

I tend to wear two pieces usually a halterneck bikini with shorty bottoms or a vest top bikini...

huge fan of tesco bikinis!!!

I normally go for shortie bottoms and i don't want to be pulling them out of my bum every 5 mins and a lightly padded halterneck bikini top so no nip nip exposure!

I'm a fan of tankinis because they cover my body without clinging to that darling little tyre around my hips that will not shift

That said, I wear a baggy t-shirt and shorts over whatever I do wear to the beach, so any form-fitting areas of my swimwear are hidden, haha.

Swimwear. e.g swimming pool i wear a swimming costume, normal, no nonsense one.

beachwear however, i wear clothes, i don't wear swimwear to the beach. i don't go abroad though and i definately find wearing swimwear in britatin on beaches a bit.. try hard? i dunno.

i'm far too umcomfortable with my body to wear any form of swimwear on the beach and would much rather wear a skirt and top or a dress.

i don't really like the beach though!

VW x

Wear what you want. I try to cover my beer-belly when 19-year old girls run around topless around me. But then I don't care because I'm on holiday :)

Wear whatever you like.

In Britain, we're very conscious about our bodies and our attitude towards bodies is different to our european neighbours.

In France, they don't even care. Miniscule bikinis, just millimetres of triangles hiding the bits. Speedos or nothing at all. I've seen so many topless women. All shapes, all sizes. But they makesure they are immaculate with their hair, waxes etc. Perhaps I find it a little atonishing because they are so relaxed about it.

I don't know what you call these bikinis but it's the string bikinis with the triangles. I wear little swim shorts over the top of the bottoms because I am conscious of the booty area as the pants ride around a bit.

I couldn't wear a swimsuit because it's way too hot anywhere south of Britain. But I am considering getting a padded bikini because my boobies have shrunk a little... Odd.. And I have a nipple piercing which I've had for 8 or 9 years now and someone always manages to find out my little secret.

People remarking about how pale a person's skin is annoying and personally, I find it offensive. That's what I am conscious of every year. I got so chippy with a guy in Spain because he made a comment about my pale skin and plus he thought I didn't know spanish so he thought he could get away with it.

Oh yea... Lol... This is quite funny.. I got a flight from Cairns to Sydney and I was waiting for a taxi to the hostel. Some brit guys said, "Don't worry love, you'll be as brown as a nut after a week." I didn't dare tell him I'd been in Aus for 3months lol.

Anyways I don't look at people and scrutinise their bodies. If someone takes the time to scrutinise other people's bodies they're probably someone who not many people like because you would never be able to relax around them.

Personally, I go for a full costume with support. I find that if I dont I fall out, not great.

On men, I like boxers. Never like speedos or anything.

On women, bikins, though not the triangle ones, swimsuits and tanktini.

SnL wrote:

People remarking about how pale a person's skin is annoying and personally, I find it offensive. That's what I am conscious of every year. I got so chippy with a guy in Spain because he made a comment about my pale skin and plus he thought I didn't know spanish so he thought he could get away with it.

Oh yea... Lol... This is quite funny.. I got a flight from Cairns to Sydney and I was waiting for a taxi to the hostel. Some brit guys said, "Don't worry love, you'll be as brown as a nut after a week." I didn't dare tell him I'd been in Aus for 3months lol.

Some people.

Don't you worry about it! I'd rather be pale and cancer free! And being pale is coming into fashion now!

Personally, I like pale ladies - some people just suit it!

Funny how some people think certain things are ok to comment on - tallness, slimness, paleness....none of their business unless you mention it yourself. Personally I avoid stating the obvious with people I don't know since often (I've found) people are insecure about the thing that makes them stand out (even if everyone else thinks it's a really attractive trait).

Adx