bra measuring

hi i need to go and get my bra size remeasured and i was wondering if any one in the OA have any recomendations . i would prefare to go to a department store if that helps.

I normally measure myself and then try a few on in the store for fit, I think that in the store they measure and fit you just the same. If you do want to go somewhere I would suggest somewhere like debenhams

marks and spencer are ok too :) but dont go to las senza they told me wrong so i proved them wrong by putting what size they thought i was on and was spilling out all over the place lol

gymnast_kerry wrote:

marks and spencer are ok too :) but dont go to las senza they told me wrong so i proved them wrong by putting what size they thought i was on and was spilling out all over the place lol

the first time i went to marks and spencers they where great .last time i went the woman was horrible so it put me off

boobaloo wrote:

I normally measure myself and then try a few on in the store for fit, I think that in the store they measure and fit you just the same. If you do want to go somewhere I would suggest somewhere like debenhams

i forgot about debenhams i might pop into the one in town

debenhams or M&S are very good hun, failiing that try la senza but be aware they can size you up smaller cos their bras are generally made smaller than the average whatever bra size. they are made smaller so aren't always a true average fit. so for example you may be a 34b but with them you may me a size smaller to fit their bras. In other words you may only be able to wear the size they tell in their bras and only from their stores. if that makes sense? You are bound to be different depending to the actual store anyway, a bit like being a size 10 jeans in next but a size 12 in dorothy perkins, so get a couple of opions, and cup sizes/shapes vary from store to store and by their style. Also seek out what style you like or suits you most, think practicality of your lifestyle and what you need from the bra, if you like plunge bras then focus on them and get you to fit you in that type. Don't get fitted with a padded bra as they can increase your size, thus leaving you with an inaccurate result/size.

hope this helps.

xx

Hi

Second what others have said. M&S or Debenhams.

Personally Debenhams are my favourite but it can be hit and miss in both places - I just prefer the bras in Debenhams.

I think even John Lewis may have bra fitters..... Oh and if you're bigger boobed don't forget Bravissimo, if they have a shop in your area.

Angel x

DRA i wish i had big boobs but i havent! you never know i might go up a cup when i get measured then i could maybe bunp up the LH average bra size if that threads still about somewhere

I usually go to the shop that shall not be named *cough*AnnSummers*cough*. My local M&S requires you to make an appointment to get a bra fitting, and it's full of older ladies and I don't really feel comfortable in there.

Oh well Fizzy - better off in some ways. Bravissimo may have pretty bras but they can be expensive!!

That's why I prefer Debenhams, I've just been for new bras and have pushed into the F cup category and Debenhams seem to be getting better with their choice of bras for bigger cupped women!

Put it this way, I was in Debenhams 2 weeks ago getting bras. Every cubicle was filled, at least 4 of the women wanted to get fitted for a bra with only 2 women measuring.

I had to get OH to run back and forth for bras because they were so busy it was quicker to get him to do it and when I came out of the cubicle there was a queue of at least another 4 women waiting to go in!!

And I live near a big shopping centre so must be popular to go to!

Just don't go during a really busy time, go first thing (if you can) so its cooler and calmer and you have time to be measured properly, or go during the week if you can.

Angel x

congrats for been in a f cup! angel

I think debenhams might be a option ive just had a quick look on thier website and they have some nice stuff in.

thanx for the advice everyone

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I can range from anything from a 38 B to a 42 D! I think shops just make up their bra/lingerie sizes as they go along!

That goes for every piece of clothing! I am size 16-18 and when I was looking for trousers, even size 20 (and I dont own a single piece of clothing on size 20 so far!) was too small for me! And I am definitely not size 22, I am far from that. Generaly I saw an article when a woman on size I think 12 was trying trousers on and there were some huge differences between some shops.

I measure myself and use a guide on the Figleaves website to work out my size - I haven't gone wrong yet! They have an area called the fitting room and it has all the info on how and a good video to show you

I agree with what others have said though - bra's vary from style to style and from shop to shop.

While looking for information to help me design some latex garments I came across this pattern school web site. The page on bra sizing and design gives an insight as to why its all sich a black art:-

http://www.patternschool.com/?page_id=230

I was facinated to find that the wire and cup sizes for a 32D, 34C, 36B and 38A are usually the same!

I do what Hella said when ordering on-line - order several sizes and send what doesn't fit back!

If you do order on-line wear the bra for an hour or so to make sure the band or straps don't dig in and the cups don't gape when you sit down etc...

Bravissimo are good and Harvey Nichols also.

People may disagree with the next statement but I think M&S are terrible at bra measuring. Myself, my mother and some of my friends agree too.

Ah crumbs just realised Bravissimo isn't a department store doh.

I just tried to measure myself and the guess would be 36 DD but! it is only by less 1 cm (0.6cm) and I have 1 breast smaller than then the other. So I would say 36D may actually fit.

I read on a few sites that you tend to round up on the cup and round down on the underbust if you are going into 0.*insert here*cm. It's tricky, really you can only tell by trying bras on to get it 100% right for you.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

It's tricky, really you can only tell by trying bras on to get it 100% right for you.

I agree entirely - the measurement you take (or the department store takes) gives you a good guideline of where to start, but it's then trial and error. Last time I went and got measured, my guideline was 36E, and ended up with three bras, all by the same manufacturor, in 34E, 34F and 36E.

yeah. I know its just a point where to start, one problem with the finger test is one my cup is lower than the other, (the bigger one, and by lower I mean it is set lower compared to the right one, so it will always be tricky to find bra which suits me. I need a new bra so going to hunt tomorrow, thats why the measuring.