Can I block certain posts?

Is there a way to block certain posts or certain users on here?

There’s stuff I’m seeing I’m just not wanting to see

2 Likes

You can indeed, though it’s rather extreme. If it’s offensive you should flag it for @Lovehoney_Brenna to deal with. :+1:

If you really do want to, erm, tailor content in a more bespoke fashion, there are a couple of ways:

The less-lethal approach is Muting topics using the Watching/Tracking/Normal/Muted options at the bottom of each. Muting will hide that topic from you completely. If you want to fish it back out again you can do that in Preferences/Categories, under the Show link next to the Muted category.

You can also Mute users too from their profile page (Normal/Mute/Ignore). Mute will effectively silence any notifications they generate, and Ignore will hide their topics and replies (so pretty nuclear).

ETA: Ignore is only available at TL2. :+1:

And there’s a bit more info on the Watching, etc options in Category and Topic Notifications?

7 Likes

Cheers Mr chimp, pretty much exactly what I needed to read, thanks

3 Likes

On further exploration (and please don’t take this as encouragement :slightly_smiling_face:), I’ve found a few more options in the Preferences/User page.

Some people (like yourself) haven’t made their profiles public so you can’t access the option to Mute/Ignore them from there. However, it seems you can manage these options better from the Preferences/User page. :+1: You can even Ignore someone for a set amount of time.

Mute User is available from Trust Level 1, and Ignore from Trust Level 2. You can read more about how to attain those in Trust Levels.

2 Likes

Not sure when you joined but I did notice that my profile that had been public for around a decade became private when LH changed the forums recently.

All profiles are Hidden as default on this new set-up.

You can toggle Hidden/Public from your Preferences/Interface page by checking/unchecking the box next to Hide my public profile and presence features. :+1: (don’t forget to save the changes)

I was hoping that ‘ignoring’ a user would stop me seeing their new threads but it still comes up but with ‘ignored content’ as the post.
Is there any way to stop it completely? Like an actual option to block?

For topics I think you would need to Mute them using the topic notification level at the bottom of the topic. That would remove them from your Latest list.

1 Like

Not topics as such, more a particular user that creates threads that I would prefer to not have come up for me. Ignoring doesn’t stop the thread, only their comments on the thread.

Edited for atrocious spelling!

It sounds like Muting the topic is what you’re after? Unfortunately it would need to be done after the topic had been created rather than be a pre-emptive thing, but it would make the topic disappear for you.

Not quite the topic, I’d like to be able to mute a user.

I am not sure what you mean. :slight_smile:

Ignoring a user would hide all of their replies behind a click-to-see dropdown, and muting the individual topics would hide the topics they create. A combination of those two things would get you pretty close?

I’ll take what I can get!

1 Like

How’d this go for you @JoCat? Thinking I might unfortunately need to do the same :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Honestly, ignorance is bliss and I highly recommend it :joy:

To ignore someone that has their profile shown its a bit easier, if its hidden you click on your wee pic, click the wee person icon, click preferences and the drop down box on the right has ‘account’ prepopulated in mine, drop that down to ‘users’, click ‘add’ type their name, select the timescale - I went for ‘forever’ and then click ‘ignore’ to finalise it.

You see their name come up in the updates so you know they’ve commented, sometimes it takes going into the thread a few times for it to take away the update and you can tap on the ‘ignored content’ and you can see their comment if you ever want to.
I’d still prefer a full block but its as close as you can get!

Your profile is really clear btw, nothing to indicate that you sell here…

5 Likes

Bless you lovely! Absolutely appreciate your help :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Any time! I’ve seen the exchange that you put up, I hadn’t seen it before… but I absolutely would’ve jumped in on that if I had.

They can see your posts and react to them, you’ll get the notification for that but you won’t see any further or previous comments.

1 Like

First I’d seen of it last night, and I thought it wasn’t on. No confusion from me as to whether you sell something here. I thought you handled it well @RacyRosalee. xx

4 Likes

Yeah, it started on another thread after I simply welcomed them to the forum, safe to say I won’t be doing that again :face_exhaling:

Thank you @KinkyMira, I was trying to be nice about it, but the third time, and then the gaslight just had me seeing red

3 Likes

I want to say also I read the conversation and I was outraged by the comments which was made about your profile, absolutely nothing wrong with you stating your job or passion.

Unfortunately you get people who feel so entitled. You handled it extremely well!! :clap::clap:

4 Likes