CHECK YOUR BALLS

LoveHoney - Alice wrote:

LoveHoney - Alice wrote:

I want you to check your balls because this year, when my partner (aged 24) was checking his, he found a lump that turned out to be testicular cancer. (It was caught early, treated quickly and he has been clear of cancer for over 6 months now.) I'm lucky to work at LoveHoney and have the opportunity to ask young men who are interested in their sexual well being to check their balls. Please do it, and please do it regularly.

If you are interested in any other information about testicular cancer, this is a great place to start: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/testicular-cancer/

Make that one year! External Media

... and *bump*

Oooof! I read the crossed out bit first and thought something terrible had happened!

I'm glad it's good news, phew. Happy days!External Media

I think this thread needs the odd bump now and again.

glad this thread got a bump!

Serious issue and there is not much publicity for it.

Had a scare myself at one point so I do check often. :-)

I just read those instructions and tried to check but felt a bit ill/faint/queasy? Not like me to be squeamish so I'll try again later. I think it was just horror of the the thought of losing my little heroes down there!

I've had that feeling before too. I think for me it's more the fact that I was touching something that I consider delicate and rather anatomically odd through something very very thin. I guess it would be the same feeling if you were having open knee surgery while awake and the doc asked you to reach down and have a feel of the bone. *shudders*

What helps for me is to be gentle and to not ue too much pressure. You are looking for lumps, so you only have to skim your fingers over the surface. Getting used to it helps also. (I also find it helps if you use the oposite hand to the side you are checking. Right hand for left ball ect. Seems to lay easier)

yeah check ur boobs to - wife found a lump in november 2009 - turned out to be cancer and since had breast removed and last month had other removed for prevention purposes she is 30 - and at mo in the clear and has skin stretchers under ur skin ready for fake boobs in july.

I'm a bit worried. Over the past day or so, I've had some pain down in my balls, nothing excruciating but definitely something out of the ordinary.

I have nothing on my testicles themselves (as in lumps, swelling, size/weigh increase or anything).

However, inside of my scrotum, just above each testicle (both, not just one, as I've found is most likely for cancer), there are what I can only describe as lumps? They aren't hard, but aren't soft like the surrounding skin.

I initially panicced and thought that it was cancer, then felt my other testicle and found the same. After a bit of internet searching, it appears to be the Epididymis, as shown here - kidshealth.org/misc/movie/bodybasics/male_repro.html

Should I get it checked out anyway or is it literally just my epididymis?

I'd get it checked out - not for the lumpy bits - you're probably right on that one, but any changes (including a pain you've never had before lasting more than a day or two) should be checked out. If you're still a bit tender by the end of the week, I'd nip to the doctors just for a check.

As has been mentioned in this thread before - it's a minefield as testicles are so lumpy anyway! Worth getting checked out if you're at all worried!

And I'm quite glad this has been bumped as it's close to Alice's fella's 2 year all clear? Hoping he is still all clear?!

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I'd get it checked out - not for the lumpy bits - you're probably right on that one, but any changes (including a pain you've never had before lasting more than a day or two) should be checked out. If you're still a bit tender by the end of the week, I'd nip to the doctors just for a check.

As has been mentioned in this thread before - it's a minefield as testicles are so lumpy anyway! Worth getting checked out if you're at all worried!

And I'm quite glad this has been bumped as it's close to Alice's fella's 2 year all clear? Hoping he is still all clear?!

Adx

Yeah, good to see somebody agrees with that bit. I'll see how I am after Friday and then book myself in at the doctors if needed :)

It is definitely hard to check for what is a lump and what isn't. Girls have it so much easier don't they ;)

Great news Alice!

Great thread and well done on the 'bump'!!

I found out I was sterile at 19 due to too much testosterone but didn't realise that that increases the risk of testicular cancer so now get every lump, bump or ache checked. I always badger my friends to get them checked, it started out as a joke for them but they finally got the idea that I was totally serious they and also do the same. Us guys can sometimes be too proud or embarrased about our bodies but this should be the case when it comes to our health!

I'll be doing the 'Hell Rider' this year in a team of 3 in aid of testicular & ovairan cancer.

Abots wrote:

I'll see how I am after Friday and then book myself in at the doctors if needed :)

Hi, Abots

I had a scare before Christmas which sounded similar to your symptoms. It's definitely worth getting checked out, as mine got quite uncomfortable and took a long course of antibiotics to clear up the infection (apparently!).

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Adx

I agree with Alicia's advice - if there's a difference you're concerned about it's wise to get it checked.

It's actually two years to the day today since he got the diagnosis. We can't cheer for the two year all clear until next week when the next scans/bloods etc happen but we don't have any reason to think we won't be celebrating, if that makes sense?

As a recent survivor of Testicular Cancer in 2008/2009, I can't stress enough to you guys how important it is to know your body, and know whats right and whats wrong.

Lumps, swellings, prolonged pain of any sort needs checking out.

I was lucky, very lucky in having the tumour not only 'invade' its way though my entire testicle, but up the connecting tissue too, and was barely 1cm away from having a free run at the rest of my internals once in the body proper – it takes only a matter of months in some circumstances for a local tumour to become a much bigger problem.

Luckily, an operation and chemotherapy worked its wonders, and a year after treatment, I was lucky to concieve in February 2010 with a wonderful daughter born in November, so losing one of your love spuds and having nasty chemo afterwards doesn't kill you off from starting a family.

In short – Lumps and bumps, don't be a grump - See the Doc!

(PS, if you're confused, about my gender – don't be....im TG)

I found every womans nightmare in my right breast about 30 years ago, Doc told me I was far too young, but I persevered and it was a tumour which if I hadn't made a fuss about would have been much more serious, I was able to have a lumpectomy and radio and chemo therapy and I'm still here with just a dimple to show for it.

So check carefully no matter if you are outside the target age groups and insist on a proper diagnosis

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

I agree with Alicia's advice - if there's a difference you're concerned about it's wise to get it checked.

It's actually two years to the day today since he got the diagnosis. We can't cheer for the two year all clear until next week when the next scans/bloods etc happen but we don't have any reason to think we won't be celebrating, if that makes sense?

*Crosses fingers* makes perfect sense, bet you're both still a bit nervy 'til you get the results though so all the best :)

Adx

me and the oh was having a play last week when she sundenly stopped what she was doing and said that i had a lump in my balls as u can imagin my mr went straight down and my hard sank.went to bed thinking all sorts about the whaot ifs ie my kids.felt sick with worry so rang the doctors the followin morning told the next appointment was friday as this was tuesday so had three days of hardly any sleep.went to the doctors he had a feel and said he thinks its only a cyst and sent for a ultra sound scan for me.had this today and to my relief the nurse said that it is only a cyst more than likely due to the tubes building up with sperm due to me having the snip 3yrs ago.its such a relief to hear them words that ur ok amd its nothing serious that its like a weight has being lifted off ur shoulders so i can speak and say please do check urself of get ur partner to check them for u because it is one hell of a scare

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Adx

Fingers crossed for next week

I went to the doctors over my balls, he had a feel and said he wasn't sure if he could feel a lump or not, so wanted me to go for urgent blood tests and ultrasound scan! Blood was taken the next day (Tuesday) and the scan was yesterday (Wednesday). It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be really, definitely go and see a doctor if you think there's anything at all :)

Celebrations tonight

Whoo! Great news Alice :)

Adx

Been a while since that has been bumped... bump!