ever had some one lie to you just to get a pressie

love it when people judge someone when they hear 1 side of a story!!!

sad to say that doesn't surprise me i personally have never had anyone ask me an ive never asked anyone an never would i had people ask if it would be ok to buy me something an always said no as id feel guilty about not being able to give something back not that the people would expect so but that just how i am

i do have wishlist but that more just to remind myself of things id like i have a siv for a brain at times lol

I'm thinking about deleting my wishlists, I only initially started one up because of the testers. Sod it who doesn't love a freebie? I've never been given anything to test so maybe its time to give it up. I've sent as many gifts as I've received and the users on here are exceedingly generous. It always amazes me that a random stranger gives a damn about me and doesn't ask for anything in return but it never surprises me when there are strings attached.

Beginning to think its time to walk away from the wishlist.

LauraP, I also have a wishlist for the testers and haven't been picked until now, but there is always a first time - you can keep it :) You'll not lose anything after all...

And on the topic - well, if someone does have a wishlist, it doesn't necessarily mean they expect someone to buy them something.

Yesterday I made an order an although only one of the items was of my wishlist, sometimes I keep browsing the site for hours and can't find something and I look at my wishlist and voila - there it is, just waiting for me to buy it lol....

You can always make some of your wishlists private, but recently I wanted to buy something small for someone and they only had 2 items on their wishlist I wasn't comfortable buying to them, lol... (not for the price, for the item type). So I just didn't do anything. But if that person had longer wishlist, they could have received a surprise ;) And it would have made me happy. Because, admit it, buying pressies could be as selfish as receiving them - it just brings so much pleasure to surprise someone and brighten their day...

On similar lines to Menyanthe- I don't think there is anything selfish or wrong with having wishlists. I know I personally get happy about looking through the site and adding things I like to the list. It does make it so much easier to know what to buy next when you decide to have a treat. I love knowing that Lovehoney do testers too, it just adds that "maybe" notion in your mind when looking through. I don't rely on getting freebies though. I've made quite a few reviews especially on lingerie, and love reading about them. Part of them is finding whether there are any updated reviews etc.

One of the other points to a wishlist is for others to see it - and no, this doesn't have to mean strangers but others that you're close to, be it friends or partners, or even online friends. I have sent others purely for appreciation or because I consider them like friends, nothing seedy about it..

I find it particularly useful for the Adopt-A-Toy thread, where you send off unwanted toys for small items to cover postage. (Even then I have had issues with this but the idea behind is is great).

All in all, in every community there will always be people that take advantage of the generosity of others (and no, not talking about this incident specifically but in general), doesn't mean it has to be ruined for everyone. I don't think anyone should feel like they have to defend themselves for having something like a wishlist.

I do think there should be an option or a clause on ever profile to show whether they DON'T want to be gifted though and purely for testers etc. I can understand that some couples or individuals are uncomfortable with the idea.

I can actually guess who the person is! It wouldn't surprise me if it was the individual I am thinking about. Turtle made a very valid point and I know it has happened to him before.

Presents shouldn't come with stipulations nor should u feel like u have to buy someone a gift- I have received 3 gifts on here and never asked for one of them infact all 3 were major surprises and when I received them I felt incredibly lucky!

Don't be manipulated by selfish little girls or silly boys on here

Xxx

i remember one lady who said on her profile that she would "allow people to buy her presents" dunno if that gambit worked...made me smile though

I've had someone who has made it obvious to everyone that it was their birthday soon be very nice to me about a week or so before their bithday - I haven't heard from them since their big day

I've never had anyone lie to me to get presents but I have had someone be a complete bitch when Adopting a Toy - she just made herself look very special (and not in a good way). First she couldn't remember if she'd bought something or not so she had to check. She then apparently sent the item that was supposed to be for me to herself? How retarded do you have to be to do that?! After about 2 months I sent her a nice email saying what she did isn't acceptable because you can't just expect free things from people. She said she had a lot going on - well who doesn't? I never got anything in return even though I only asked her to cover postage costs which were like £3. And she had the nerve to ask if another item I put up for Adoption would have free postage? Ermm no.

I have a feeling this might be the same person as judging by posts on a different thread and this one, they have the same name which seems like too big a coincidence.

At the end of the day we all wish for alot of things and ask for alot of things but we dont get them.

If people are foolish enough to buy somebody else something then its only their fault. At the end of the day if your buying a prssie for someone else what are you getting out of it nothing except your bank account will be a bit lighter.

Buying a pressie for someone has nothing to do with being a lier at all. Only person is at fault and thats the person buying the prsesnt and what are you really achieving out of it, you will never touch the item, see the item so whats the point!!!

Big Dickie wrote:

, you will never touch the item, see the item so whats the point!!!

making someone happy is the point, I believe

But wats the point your never going to benefit from it and so what if they did lie if they know people are foolish enough to buy pressies then fair play to them xxxx

Big Dickie wrote:

But wats the point your never going to benefit from it and so what if they did lie if they know people are foolish enough to buy pressies then fair play to them xxxx

so preying on peoples good natures is fair and reasonable so long as you get what you want?

hhhmmm.. its a shame for people to be publicly hung, drawn and quartered like this. There is only one side of the story here and People shouldnt judge from what one person has said. This should have been reported and left at that.

I hate to say it but it takes two to tango.

there are very few people you can trust on the internet, there are too many scams nowadays and now people are doing it direct to just get gifts

A very true point AA, I admit I have said things before and it's triggered a gift being bought but that was never my intention. Of course, only the two people in the conversation know what really happened so I'm not judging anyone, that's for those people to sort out. Generally, however, it does happen and it's a sad thing. We shouldn't all have to be cynical about our friends whether we've met them or not. It's coming on this site and seeing such generosity for no reward that gives me a little faith back in humanity. I think the sadest thing is having to always think "do people think I'm only after gifts?" and "will they think I'm hinting?". Then, can't all friendships turn out to be based on manipulation and lies, though, even real life ones?

I know I had issues with this a while back... (asking for presents) and I was pulled up about it and had it explained to me why it's wrong - but I still didn't understand what the problem was.

It wasn't until I stopped wanting and asking, and had some time away from LH that I actually realised how greedy and selfish I was being. In fact, I would feel guilty accepting gifts now. I know how hard a lot of people work for their money and what right do I have to ask for it? I completely agree with all these comments and think if there are any people on here who ask other members for gifts need to take some advice from me - you will never appreciate the novelty of a present if you expect them or have to ask. I have to say though I NEVER lied to get a gift from anyone on here... but I did drop hints and that was terrible, it's making me cringe just thinking about it!

I feel so much better in myself these days knowing that I don't need to depend on or rely on anybody else to buy things for me, I would rather go without the things I want because then at least I can say everything I own and everything I have, I achieved single handedly and that really is something for me personally, to be proud of.

Also I would just like to add here, thank you to everyone who HAS bought be gifts in the past, I was a very lucky lady and there are some amazingly generous people on here. I hope them people don't get taken advantage of... Xx

So sorry to hear someone has been doing this, I can't believe some people on here would actually stoop so low as to do something like that...or actually maybe on second thoughts I would

Honestly people should be happy with a bag of chips in Southend Xxxxx

I do not send unless it down to secret santa or something. I know many have wishlists so companies can get great honest reviews off valued bloggers but other then those sole purposes I do not see the point xx

Sorry you lead on xx

I have purchase presents for a select few and for adopt a toy. I have had gifts from a select few, adopt a toy and a submissive.

I would never buy a gift for someone who was whinging and asked for a gift, I have done to cheer people up because they seemed geniune and it was an ongoing problem.