Friend says he is in love with me

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't find a suitable thread and I need some advice.

I was at a party on Friday and so was my best guy friend. He's in my class at uni and he has been in a relationship for about two years. He is a really good friend of mine and I don't have too many good friends these days.

At the party we both had been drinking and after some time he told me that he is "kind of in love with me" even though he knows I'm in a relationship. I don't know how I should approach this because I really want everything to stay like it was before. What do you guys think I should do? I made it clear that I'm not interested in that way but I'm afraid it'll affect my friendship with him. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Sxleksaker, I had something similar like this happen many years ago. My approach was to talk to him, and clear the air which it did do. I will give you the same advice, have an honest chat and let him know how you feel, and that you don't want anything to get in the way of your friendship which means a lot to you. Drink does have a tendency to make us say things that maybe we shouldn't, but I'm sure things will be ok between you both ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)xxx

Thanks Scorpius, I think you are right. I need to have a chat with him when I see him in person. I'm so afraid that our friendship is going to change because I don't have many friends which I have such a great connection with.

Maybe he was just really drunk and didn't mean it this way or he was just trying to say he is really attached to you as a friend? especially if both of you are in a relationship. As Scorpius says, sometimes when you're drunk, you say things you shouldn't, but I would also add you can say things that don't really make sense...

Have you seen him/talked to him since this happened?

He also said that he wished that we were both singles so we could be together, so I don't think he meant something else. We have talked by text and he apologized for saying that, we haven't talked much after that :/

This situation is more common than you'd think with guys...if a guy forms a close friendship with a girl then the basis of a relationship is already there in terms of compatibility and enjoying each other's company.

If one day, he realises he actually really fancies her too then he's stuck with two choices: bury his feelings and have to watch her date/fall in love with someone else (depends on the guy whether he can allow himself to be happy for his friend, or whether he will feel jealous)...or, risk the friendship by telling her how he feels about her.

There's no right or wrong answer, and it doesn't need to change a friendship, as long as your friend accepts when it's not reciprocated.

Hope it works out for you both xx

I agree with Sex Squid completely.

One of the big things about men and women we are so different opposites attract.

I'm afraid your friendship will be different because the Genie is out of the bottle. You need to be honest and straight with him tell him how you want and see your friendship Then ask him if he can except that.

I wish you well and yes this has happed to me several times but only once did I misjudge a woman's feelings towards me and it is upsetting. I did not think I could continue thee friendships because once you see or are seen as a sexual way then platonic friendship will be impossible for me.

But that's just me . I hope you can keep your friend ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I think if you've talked about it by text, then maybe I would not broach it anymore? But it might be good to take a step back from each other...I agree with GG though, it is difficult to keep things platonic when there's something else involved already. I would personally limit things like texting or hanging out one on one, and really keep things on a more "general" sort of level, so that things can kinda cool off for a bit.

Its a toughy. I've had my fair share of my friends confessing their love for me, it can be pretty common. Sometimes a good close relationship can get confused for love, well romantic love. Sadly I've lost these friends along the way as it does tend to become awkward. It can also affect your relationship with your OH if they find out about these feelings.

I hope everything works out for you. Its such a horrible situation to be in.

Sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. I think you've already answered your own question here
"We have talked by text and he apologized for saying that, we haven't talked much after that"
I'm sorry to say that most friendships won't survive this situatio unscathed. All the best xx

Yes I've experienced something similar with two of my friends. I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid things getting weird. Being clear that you're not interested is pretty much all you can do. From my experience, things can get weird for a while but you both will just finally be ok with it and it'll not be any different than before. Just ignor the awkwardness and time will fix it for you two

I really hope it can go back as it was. I only have a few good friends and they all mean a lot to me. This guys has always been so kind to me and helped me so much emotionally when I have been feeling down and he's also really funny. Therefore I really hope we can get past this.

Sounds like one of those awkward moments in life that we have all experienced at some point!

Talk to him on his own and make it clear you only will ever be friends with him.

Im sure he would still want to keep you as a friend otherwise he may lose you completely![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Really hope you can get past the awkward phase. As long as it is clear to him how you feel and he doesn't keep bringing it up to you, you should be able to get back to the great friendship you share. Good luck, I know this must be tough!

I can only wish you well and hope the situation resolves itself positively for you both xxxx

Hugs xxxx

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

This is a really tough one. You say this guy is kind and helped you emotionally which are great qualities in a friend however you will now treat his kind words, his shoulder to cry on with suspicion.

Do you still feel able to off load your troubles and share info about your life with him knowing that he wants you to be with him. Will his advice and attention be from a true friends perspective or someone with an ulterior motive.

There is no need to inform your OH about your friend's declaration but how would you feel if your OH had a friend who wanted him to dump you and be with her. Would you be happy with their continued friendship.

I'm not saying that this friendship is now lost but you have to be open and honest with him but all so with yourself. Are you harbouring any feelings for him. Maybe your friendship can continue but on a different level.

Some friends you will take with you through life. Unfortunately some friends are short term, for a moment in time they are exactly what you need, be that emotionally, for fun, going through uni etc but then that friendship drifts away and as you enter new chapters in your life so do new acquaintances and potential friends.

Xx

I've had this before. A few times actually. Though each was a little different to your own situation. The first one was my best friend of years, I saw him as a rebound, but turned out he had been in love with me for years, never telling me, and I was his first, so he fell pretty hard for me. I acted without thinking about him, only myself, and we hooked up for about a month. Biggest regret of my life. About a year after we 'split', we went on a night out together and he mistook his friend leaning in to talk in my ear as him trying to kiss me, and my friend drunkenly admitted he was still in love with me. When we were sober I tried to talk to him about it and his response was to push me away, and he ended our friendship, which was incredibly hard to deal with. Wish I had never gone there. And sometimes I wish I'd never pushed him to talk about his feelings, because maybe things would have been ok between us, but I think that is the naive response.
However, for your situation sxleksaker, talk to him. He is probably just as scared of ruining the friendship as you are - why do you think he told you when he was drunk? If you have no feelings for him, tell him so, but kindly (though I can't imagine you being mean!), take control of the situation and assure him that nothing will change, and nothing will because he will follow your lead 😊

Thanks Violet, that's really good advice and just what I needed to hear 😘

Hope you guys get sorted and back to your usual selves soon 😁😁