Girl proposing to the guy

I have seen quite a few programmes whereby the girl has proposed to the guy including a soap.

In olden times this was only done in a leap year and on February 29th IIRC

With greater freedoms we enjoy these days , just wondering how many girls intend proposing to their guy or already done it? And for the guys on here did your girl propose to you and how did you feel ?

I would have been honoured if my OH had proposed to me but I did it in the old fashioned way being the way I am .

I am not expecting a big response but it would be interesting if there were one or two out there.

We technically had no actual engagement or proposal as such.

I told him one day that I wanted to marry him (I was 6 months pregnant at the time), he told me to go and book it 😄 we got married 9 months later!

Not traditional or very romantic but that's us as a couple, very spur of the moment and not the most traditional Haha

I wouldn't propose to my OH because I know he's been really looking forward to proposing and has made plans to do so. :)

When we were still trying for a baby we didn't think it would happen for a while, so he was planning on taking me to see the northern lights and he has let slip since that he would have proposed then, however just as he went to book it I found out I was pregnant! Neither of us wanted to take the risk of travelling during pregnancy due to a previous loss so those plans have been put on hold. I know he's planning to propose some time after the baby is born (otherwise people will just assume he's proposing because I'm pregnant) But I have no idea how or when, and I'd rather keep it as a surprise.

People have said to us that we should just get engaged now rather than putting it off, but we both feel strongly that we don't want to be one of those couples that just gets engaged and doesn't get married for ages. When we get engaged we want to plan the wedding ASAP, but with a baby on the way we'd rather focus our energy on that and sort out the wedding afterwards.

Anyway, that was my verrry long story haha.

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

I told him one day that I wanted to marry him (I was 6 months pregnant at the time), he told me to go and book it 😄 we got married 9 months later!

Not traditional or very romantic but that's us as a couple, very spur of the moment and not the most traditional Haha

Thats quite nice . Techincally you did propose to him as you inititated it so well done !

mysteron wrote:

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Thats quite nice . Techincally you did propose to him as you inititated it so well done !

Considering he had never thought he would get married or that he would even want to it was a big step for me to bring it up with him. Turns out he wasn't opposed to the idea when the time was right and it was him that was emotional on our wedding day! 😊😍

Boogaloo wrote:

I wouldn't propose to my OH because I know he's been really looking forward to proposing and has made plans to do so. :)

When we were still trying for a baby we didn't think it would happen for a while, so he was planning on taking me to see the northern lights and he has let slip since that he would have proposed then, however just as he went to book it I found out I was pregnant! Neither of us wanted to take the risk of travelling during pregnancy due to a previous loss so those plans have been put on hold. I know he's planning to propose some time after the baby is born (otherwise people will just assume he's proposing because I'm pregnant) But I have no idea how or when, and I'd rather keep it as a surprise.

People have said to us that we should just get engaged now rather than putting it off, but we both feel strongly that we don't want to be one of those couples that just gets engaged and doesn't get married for ages. When we get engaged we want to plan the wedding ASAP, but with a baby on the way we'd rather focus our energy on that and sort out the wedding afterwards.

Anyway, that was my verrry long story haha.

I agree with what your saying. I think and I may be wrong but the rationale for the long engagment was to asses how well you get on living together before it becomes properly legal so to speak.This was our way at it was about 3 years after we got engaged to actually getting married.since we got our house. We married at short notice at Gretna Green which could be another topic for another story one day.

In your case this won't apply as you are already living together and getting a family together as well .

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. We've done it the 'modern' way I suppose!

My mum got pregnant before her and my dad were even engaged and back then it was frowned upon, so they ended up having a shotgun wedding when she was 8 months pregnant, in my nans back garden! It wasn't the sort of wedding she wanted, and we don't want to go down that route. Although we don't want a big white wedding either, I'd just rather not be heavily pregnant on my wedding day haha!

Boogaloo wrote:

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. We've done it the 'modern' way I suppose!

My mum got pregnant before her and my dad were even engaged and back then it was frowned upon, so they ended up having a shotgun wedding when she was 8 months pregnant, in my nans back garden! It wasn't the sort of wedding she wanted, and we don't want to go down that route. Although we don't want a big white wedding either, I'd just rather not be heavily pregnant on my wedding day haha!

Our wedding was planned quickley because of the mother in law. She would just take over and have everything we didn't want .So we booked it secretly including the Blacksmiths forge were they "forged" the rings.We even got a piper and it was brilliant and didn't cost the earth We gave the mother in law 5 days notice! ![](upload://rA41UoqYzU9yrgGiJUyzuRc98GV.gif)

The funniest thing though my wifes father kept our confidence to allow him to book the hotel etc.

I wouldn't propose to my OH, but only because I would like a romantic proposal from him. I like to be treated like a lady, which is great because he is a gentleman already! I'd like to be proposed to by coming home one day, having a homemade, lovely homecooked (by him!) dinner over candlelight, then be proposed to down on one knee whilst we both cry with happiness... Then make love so sweetly and intimately together and fall asleep in each other's arms...

Now, as for weddings... Classic, timeless, and not expensive! It's silly to spend so much money on them! 😉

I would have liked to have been proposed to, but being a bit of a tomboy (or "different" as I'm often described!), I did the proposing.

He was a bit shocked to say the least - I don't think marriage was at all on his mind - and never actually answered. So I grabbed my best friend and a few others and we all flew off to Vegas, where we had a "blue jeans" wedding in a taxi at a drive-thru. No vows were prepared by either of us, but we had the lovely Rev. Shawn Jewell perform the ceremony. He was fab. Very sincere.

If I ever do it again, I'd do it exactly the same way.

VR wrote:

I would have liked to have been proposed to, but being a bit of a tomboy (or "different" as I'm often described!), I did the proposing.

He was a bit shocked to say the least - I don't think marriage was at all on his mind - and never actually answered. So I grabbed my best friend and a few others and we all flew off to Vegas, where we had a "blue jeans" wedding in a taxi at a drive-thru. No vows were prepared by either of us, but we had the lovely Rev. Shawn Jewell perform the ceremony. He was fab. Very sincere.

If I ever do it again, I'd do it exactly the same way.

That sounds really cool.

I've never proposed marriage but I've always asked out the guy or asked to take the next step & would most likely propose to the love of my life when I find him. I get very anxious asking but I also get a thrill from it when it's over plus they are always shocked, I still shock myself when I do it. I'm currently plucking up the courage to ask my best friend to be my boyfriend (so far it's taken me 5 months & counting to pluck up the courage), mainly because we spoek about it before and he wasn't ready but things have changed, and he is a very shy guy so I'll do it after the new year ^_^

MissNoir wrote:

I've never proposed marriage but I've always asked out the guy or asked to take the next step & would most likely propose to the love of my life when I find him. I get very anxious asking but I also get a thrill from it when it's over plus they are always shocked, I still shock myself when I do it. I'm currently plucking up the courage to ask my best friend to be my boyfriend (so far it's taken me 5 months & counting to pluck up the courage), mainly because we spoek about it before and he wasn't ready but things have changed, and he is a very shy guy so I'll do it after the new year ^_^

I think the festive period will throw up plenty of opportunities to pop the question. If you are not driving ,down a couple of drinks, grab some mistletoe and then grab him.Get a Christmas kiss out of him and then pop the question.But get it done before somebody beats you to it.

Good luck

mysteron wrote:

I think the festive period will throw up plenty of opportunities to pop the question. If you are not driving ,down a couple of drinks, grab some mistletoe and then grab him.Get a Christmas kiss out of him and then pop the question.But get it done before somebody beats you to it.

Good luck

Thanks! If I do it over the festive seson it'll be over skype or phone as he has gone home, which is 3 hours away on a train (I'd go up but it's so expensive). We've been best friends for 3 years, been technically seeing each other for almost a year & said we'd remain exclusive, almost lived together too, I'm thinking around new year to ask ^_^

I would definitely do the proposing. I have technically been engaged once before, but his proposal was absolutely AWFUL. It was long distance, we were on skype typing, he had his webcam on but no mic. We had literally JUST finished discussing how our perfect proposals would go, and how it was definitely a face to face in person thing, NOT an over the phone/web etc, when he just took it upon himself to kneel on the floor and type "will you marry me?" It took me by surprise and i just replied that it would make me very happy. I didn't say "yes" because i wasn't sure if he was actually proposing or more asking if i would marry him one day. For the next half hour i honestly couldn't figure out if we were engaged or not, and actually had to ask him to clarify. He also made me buy my own ring after clarifying that yes, it was a real proposal. He enver actually spoke the words to me, and it was an abusive relationship on his part, so i tend to discredit the fact i was "engaged" and refer to him solely as an ex boyfriend as it wasn't really a proposal and there was nothing remotely positive or memorable about it.

VirginAngel wrote:

I would definitely do the proposing. I have technically been engaged once before, but his proposal was absolutely AWFUL. It was long distance, we were on skype typing, he had his webcam on but no mic. We had literally JUST finished discussing how our perfect proposals would go, and how it was definitely a face to face in person thing, NOT an over the phone/web etc, when he just took it upon himself to kneel on the floor and type "will you marry me?" It took me by surprise and i just replied that it would make me very happy. I didn't say "yes" because i wasn't sure if he was actually proposing or more asking if i would marry him one day. For the next half hour i honestly couldn't figure out if we were engaged or not, and actually had to ask him to clarify. He also made me buy my own ring after clarifying that yes, it was a real proposal. He enver actually spoke the words to me, and it was an abusive relationship on his part, so i tend to discredit the fact i was "engaged" and refer to him solely as an ex boyfriend as it wasn't really a proposal and there was nothing remotely positive or memorable about it.

You raised a point there about the ring. If the lady proposes to the guy then who should by the ring?

Mysteron - we got round the ring part by him suggesting that I choose a bridal set, where you get an engagement ring and a wedding ring that fit together. So that I could wear the engagement ring as a symbol of the forthcoming wedding and I got my wedding ring on the day 😊
We both looked at places until we found one that we both thought was me 😊

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Mysteron - we got round the ring part by him suggesting that I choose a bridal set, where you get an engagement ring and a wedding ring that fit together. So that I could wear the engagement ring as a symbol of the forthcoming wedding and I got my wedding ring on the day 😊

Thats nice and romantic .Nice to see that romance is very much around and its great that both of you worked together to get the wedding that you wanted. ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

mysteron wrote:

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Thats nice and romantic .Nice to see that romance is very much around and its great that both of you worked together to get the wedding that you wanted. ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Yep, we had a quirky, non traditional wedding. With a bouncy castle, outdoor games, candyfloss, popcorn. With a black and white theme including dress code 😊 it was very much us, fun and relaxed and a little bit different. I even had a 50's style tea length dress that showed my tattoos on my legs. It was lovely 😍

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Yep, we had a quirky, non traditional wedding. With a bouncy castle, outdoor games, candyfloss, popcorn. With a black and white theme including dress code 😊 it was very much us, fun and relaxed and a little bit different. I even had a 50's style tea length dress that showed my tattoos on my legs. It was lovely 😍

That sounds amazing! I'd love a wedding like that, neither me or my OH are party people so we always get very bored at wedding receptions, but we're big kids at heart and love stuff like that.

Ideally, I'd like to elope as well. Just me, him, and our future son, somewhere quiet and beautiful. I couldn't ever do it though as it would cause serious problems with our families, which is ridiculous because we don't want to pay for a big wedding just so other people can eat and get drunk. When the day does come we will definitely be having a very strict "close family and friends only" policy instead!