Guilty to return stuff

Ever since I went down the slippery slope of sex toys, I've amassed a decent collection over a rather short period of time. Most of it was pretty much trial and error since as a beginner, I was mostly going in blind. While there are some obvious winners, there are quite a few that ended up being just not that wonderful and some that just didn't work at all. For eg, I have a kegel ball that is just too light and big to be of any use and I actually got bored using my Tracey Cox Gspot vibe because nothing was happening for me.

I know Lovehoney has an awesome returns policy and it would be really nice for my wallet to return / exchange some of the toys. Still, I can't help feeling a little guilty sending stuff back for a full refund or exchange, especially when it's already used and I know it's destined for the recycling bin.

Does anyone else feel the same way? :S I'm trying to weed out the things that I *really* don't like and maybe decide from there.

I think it's a brilliant policy they have. I just received a new toy yesterday but sadly I'm going to have to return it. It doesn't do what it says on the tin. If you know what I mean. Black deluxe wand is supposed to be more powerful and quieter. I'm not bothered about the noise. It's just lacking the power. So off to the post office this week.

I returned a wand after months of using as it stopped working. Was a happy bunny when I got a replacement.

Yeah, I feel guilty about returns too. But the policy is there to be used, eh? I'm always scared I'm going to make LH go bankrupt or something by costing them money in returns...but I'm quite sure they wouldn't offer the policy if it were damaging them financially?

And it's a little less guilt inducing knowing things will be recycled or disposed of correctly. Not just thrown in a land fill or, worse, taped back up and sold on D: *shudders*

I've taken advantage of the returns policy quite a few times now and I don't feel guilty about returning toys - unless they're really expensive - honestly! I think that returned toys with mechanical parts get recycled via rabbit amnesty (I might be wrong) so at least they're not going to be sitting around in a landfill.

I do feel a bit bad returning lingerie though. :/

sleepycelia wrote:

I've taken advantage of the returns policy quite a few times now and I don't feel guilty about returning toys - unless they're really expensive - honestly! I think that returned toys with mechanical parts get recycled via rabbit amnesty (I might be wrong) so at least they're not going to be sitting around in a landfill.

I do feel a bit bad returning lingerie though. :/

I love rabbit amnesty. I think it's even sweeter that they actually offer points as a kind of incentive for people to recycle their old sex toys responsibly. Lovehoney really is a lovely company!

Yvonne1169 wrote:

I think it's a brilliant policy they have. I just received a new toy yesterday but sadly I'm going to have to return it. It doesn't do what it says on the tin. If you know what I mean. Black deluxe wand is supposed to be more powerful and quieter. I'm not bothered about the noise. It's just lacking the power. So off to the post office this week.

I returned a wand after months of using as it stopped working. Was a happy bunny when I got a replacement.

Aww, I'm sorry the wand didn't work out for you. I do love how the returns policy allows people to take the plunge and get the more expensive toys knowing that there's a safety net if the toy doesn't work out.

Lovebirds_x wrote:

Yeah, I feel guilty about returns too. But the policy is there to be used, eh? I'm always scared I'm going to make LH go bankrupt or something by costing them money in returns...but I'm quite sure they wouldn't offer the policy if it were damaging them financially?

And it's a little less guilt inducing knowing things will be recycled or disposed of correctly. Not just thrown in a land fill or, worse, taped back up and sold on D: *shudders*

I have exactly the same fear! I don't even know why I feel guilty. I think it's because Lovehoney and its staff are just so awesome that I find myself worrying about making them incur losses due to my finicky body.

Taped up and sold on is a horrifying thought. D:

I've only sent 1 or 2 things back, but I understand what you mean, one item was £40 so felt a bit guilty.

Their great returns policy is why the company is doing well, over the years people only return a fraction of what they buy even if the item is a more expensive one, overall there's no loss.

Hi all,

Saw this and reminded me that I needed to clear out a bit ... I have only ever sent back things that either didnt work or didnt fit but there are a couple of things that did work that have been sitting there not used just because didnt like them - from what has been said, I may see how long ago they were bought and swap them for something else ... make me feel better if I swap rather refund as at least its still a sale, sort of, for LH.

I feel super bad about returning things too, but as Lovebirds said, that is what the policy is there for.
IF it makes you feel better, Lovehoney prices are a teeeeeny tiny bit higher than other places to account for the returns policy, and considering the mark up on sex toys, LH are in no danger of going bankrupt from the returns and refunds they do issue :)
It's why they can offer us such good sales too!

As much as possible gets recycled so the landfill waste is minimal. That and the fact that, proportional to sales, there aren't that many returns.

As for expensive toys, you're paying a lot, they *should* work so if they don't, sending them back is the least of your worries :)

I am returning everything. Vibrator does not work for me, kegal toner balls too big. Do I feel guilty? No because LH has a god policy in place and I would not be honoring my self by keeping things that do not serve a purpose.

Its like being at a cafe and your food is under or over cooked. Yu paid for it, would you sit there and eat it> HELL NO lol

I am going to save up for an expensive toy. Lelo/doxy perhaps. not sure yet :)

SensualFire wrote:

Its like being at a cafe and your food is under or over cooked. Yu paid for it, would you sit there and eat it> HELL NO lol

Well, yeah, but only if there's something wrong with the food. I feel bad because to me it's more like ordering something I've never tried before, escargot or whatever, and not liking it when it gets there even though it could be the best example of escargot in the world. To me then the problem is mine and not theirs.

Oh, the guilt! Anyway. I don't think I kept any receipts.

Oh, actually, I have found the receipt. It's for a deluxe magic wand. She didn't like it. The vibrations weren't focussed enough for her, which is something she's complained about in larger vibrating toys before so I know she's not at it, and despite giving it a go on half a dozen occassions, it's unlikely to see the light of day again. Is that reason enough to return something?

Catholic guilt...crippling...

Yep, maybe it's somewhat silly, but I definitely feel the same way (I've returned a few things before). I think it's possibly because nowhere else (that I know of anyway) has the same type of system. The fact that you can return things nearly 1 year after buying is mind boggling.

I'd possibly feel differently if the item is faulty, but I don't think I've ever had a faulty item.

But yes, I know it's irrational feeling guilty, but you can't help feelings. The return system really is amazing :)

DreamOfTheEndless wrote:

Oh, actually, I have found the receipt. It's for a deluxe magic wand. She didn't like it. The vibrations weren't focussed enough for her, which is something she's complained about in larger vibrating toys before so I know she's not at it, and despite giving it a go on half a dozen occassions, it's unlikely to see the light of day again. Is that reason enough to return something?

That is absolutely reason enough to return something. Not that you need any reason according to the policy since they won't ask, but morally speaking not liking it and never using again it is definitely a good reason to return!

Plus you don't need the receipts, you can get your order number from your account and print another postage label once you fill in the returns form. You include a note instead of the receipt :)

DreamOfTheEndless wrote:

I totally understand what she means. I just sent the exact same wand back, for the exact same reason. Does that make us vagina twins or something??

I don't feel guilty exactly, but I do sometimes feel nervous that LH will think I'm at it and decide to give me the boot. I wonder if anyone has ever ordered and then returned so many items that LH have cut them off?

I did feel a little bit guilty recently, because I returned a butt plug that had warped. When LH sent me an e-mail to ask what was wrong with the product and we got to discussing it, it turns out it's extremely likely that the plug warped because of the way I was storing it - ie. it was my fault. I was happy to accept that - fair's fair - but then LH processed the refund anyway, and I hadn't even posted the plug back yet. That's some spectacular service right there, but I did feel really bad.

But if the item is faulty and I didn't do anything to break it, or if I just don't like it, I don't feel guilty. To be fair, they end up getting the money back, because I just buy more toys. :P

I feel guilty as well. I returned some items that didn't work for me and I felt ok about them. But once I got a buttplug and returned it for another one, paid the extra money and still it didn't work, and I felt guilty because I had already the chance to return and did it twice. I feel so bad about that time that I haven't bought another buttplug because I'm afraid it won't be what I'm expecting and I don't want to return again.

And one time I also felt guilty and a bit sad because I wanted to return some kegel balls that I realised I didn't need at all - it even caused me pain, and had to return more than that item because it was part of a 3 for 10 offer.

But as had been said, if the policy exists, it is to be used should you need it. And I try to avoid abuse it, as I have two items that I ended up not using at all and never returned them, I was too ashamed to return even more things. But if the product was faulty, I wouldn't feel guilty, or if it did work for me at all (like the kegel balls). But like Cutie Curious, I usually spend the money again on LH, so...

CutieCurious wrote:

To be fair, they end up getting the money back, because I just buy more toys. :P

That's a very good way of looking at it. :)

I think I'll compromise: send back the couple of wee things I have for recycling and think about whether the postage hassle will be worth it for the wand.

I have returned a few, and felt guilty about all of them. I returned both the vibe and glass dildo i made as my very first purchase, as i didn't think i "got on" with them, however i did actually re buy the vibe a few months later once i figured out what i was doing and that it was infact the perfect toy for me, it was on sale when i re bought so another reason i feel guilty about it. I would have re bought the glass too but it had been discontinued by then, a shame as now i know what I'm doing it really was inexperience not dislike of the toys that i returned them.

It made me really think about returning anything else, however a squeel go i returned as i just didn't like the feeling of it, and a rabbit that had a small crack in the screw on base that compromised the waterproofness of the toy and caused damage after one use were returned too.

I currently have 3 toys that i'm binning rather than returning. A clitoriffic, which the internal components have all rusted over and broken, even though i fastened it as tight as possible and unlike my other waterproof vibe, didn't have a rubber washer to fully seal it, just plastic on plastic screw cap. I can't be sure this was a toy failing, a missing washer, or user error, so i don't expect LH to take the financial hit for it. Same with a small jelly dildo that melted on contact with another jelly dildo, That was my own error of not storing properly, though as a novice at the time had no idea they could react with eachother and hadn't bought any separate storage bags, just tipped the lot into a small drawer. Another vibe that broke after first use was a rather expensive silicone one i was sent as my first tester. I was sent the item in error as it was mixed up with another tester and we were sent each others. Before using it i contacted CS and asked should i return it to swap for what i should have been sent or review that instead, and they told me to keep it, review it if i liked, and sent the tester i was originally meant to get also. I wouldn't gain financially to return it, maybe they'd replace it, but they already took the hit of sending it to me in error in the first place. I'm not going to cost them another one, especially when i wasn't really a fan of it when it did work the first time i used it, although i was a novice then and no idea how to use toys properly. I'd rather throw it in the bin, than have them charged the cost of using the returns label.

Out of curiousity, how many toys have people had to return due to them being faulty?

I'm currently packing up a faulty toy to return, and thinking back, it's the third toy I've returned for this reason (It's the fourth toy I've actually reported as faulty, but as I said earlier, it turns out the plug wasn't faulty - my storage system was). I was just wondering if I was unlucky getting three, or if that's a normal amount?

CutieCurious wrote:

Out of curiousity, how many toys have people had to return due to them being faulty?

I'm currently packing up a faulty toy to return, and thinking back, it's the third toy I've returned for this reason (It's the fourth toy I've actually reported as faulty, but as I said earlier, it turns out the plug wasn't faulty - my storage system was). I was just wondering if I was unlucky getting three, or if that's a normal amount?

Two or three, can't remember exactly. I've been on the verge of returning my wand for a while, since it shocks me every other time I use it (literally every other; I always say that if it does it next time, I'll send it back. So it doesn't. So I keep it. And then it happens the next time xD).

One of the things I returned was a We Vibe 4+, so, that kinda counts for three, right? :')

I had to return a Lelo Ora that was faulty - seeing it was being discontinued (and the colour I had gone for was already gone), I got a refund instead of a replacement.

I got one tester product (a vibrating "mascara" of sorts) that did not work at all - it was apparently something that went discontinued just after it had been introduced (someone's tester shattered, mine did not work at all, not even with brand new batteries I bought instead of those included in the package) that was very much faulty - I was told by the Customer Care I should just get rid of it on my own.

Recently, one of my vibes broke - but I have myself to blame; it was extra slippery and it simply "jumped" out of my hand, only to land on a very hard floor and spend a bit of time a-rattling there before I finally manage to pick it up (it was more slippery and hard to catch than an eel). Something apparently broke inside and it does not want to take any charge any more. Frankly, even though I only bought it a couple of months ago, I am not going to try to return it - it was my fault it broke, not Lovehoney's.