GUM clinic - before you you

Quick question I have a routine GUM clinic appointment on Tuesday but the OH is here Monday night, is it ok going for a check up if you've had sex within the last 24 hours, as I know its not really advised when you go for a smear.

anyone know?

ive never used a GUM clinic i have a private gyn and she gets abit pissy if i have sex 24 hours before erm but i cant see it being a huge problem. xxx

I'm sure that it will be fine occhiverdi, I can't see how it would affect any test results x

yeah thats what I thought, but i had a pissy doc who lectured me in the past about it effecting smear results.... lets not start on what they say about my piercing!

yeah id say just make sure you have a wash before you go in the morning and everything should be fine hun :). xxx

I hate it at clinics when you feel like the person who you see is looking down on you in some way

i dont really have an answear to a question, but have you looked on the GUM website? that might give you some info? or just google it?

Dxx

diamonds wrote:

i dont really have an answear to a question, but have you looked on the GUM website? that might give you some info? or just google it?

Dxx

Yeah nothing there. I'll go and act dumb.... if they make me go back they make me go back. I'll probably get a lecture on only using the pill as protection with my OH too.... can you tell I'm looking forward to it!

occhiverdi wrote:

diamonds wrote:

Dxx

Yeah nothing there. I'll go and act dumb.... if they make me go back they make me go back. I'll probably get a lecture on only using the pill as protection with my OH too.... can you tell I'm looking forward to it!

When I saw the GUM clinic the women was nothing but helpful and lovely. No lectures, just plain old good advice. I shouldn't worry - and if they *do* make you feel uncomfortable, consider complaining.

Adx

Wizzie86 wrote:

I'm sure that it will be fine occhiverdi, I can't see how it would affect any test results x

I don't either but if I was a doc I'd rather not go poking people in old cum, perhaps that's why they tell you not too!

WandA wrote:

Wizzie86 wrote:

I don't either but if I was a doc I'd rather not go poking people in old cum, perhaps that's why they tell you not too!

u know if i tell him this he wil make me swallow :|

occhiverdi wrote:

WandA wrote:

Wizzie86 wrote:

u know if i tell him this he wil make me swallow :|

If he makes you then you don't ever let him cum near you again.External Media

Should be ok if not sure just give them a bell theyll help you out

It's ok to have sex within 24 hours of a smear test unless you're using spermicide, barrier methods of contraception (condoms or diaphragm), or jelly lubricants ... there are chemicals in these that can interfere with the test

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

It's ok to have sex within 24 hours of a smear test unless you're using spermicide, barrier methods of contraception (condoms or diaphragm), or jelly lubricants ... there are chemicals in these that can interfere with the test External Media

xxKPxx

So my theory that docs just don't want to wade through old cum is true?

WandA wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

It's ok to have sex within 24 hours of a smear test unless you're using spermicide, barrier methods of contraception (condoms or diaphragm), or jelly lubricants ... there are chemicals in these that can interfere with the test External Media

xxKPxx

So my theory that docs just don't want to wade through old cum is true?

Hahahaha then they would be encouraging barrier methods not suggesting you don't use them!

Medical folks just generally don't get that squeemish really. I've seen smears with sperm on, it's not that much of a problem - it's easier to see what's going on if there aren't any though.

occhiverdi I'd probably just avoid PIV sex for one night to be safe. You only have smears every couple of years so it's not too harsh to miss one night of PIV for it ... plenty of other stuff you could do like oral!!!

xxKPxx

I think the sooner you go the better, i've been there twice and i'm a lad..even had an aids test to once cuz i was scared..didn't like the blood coming out of me for that aids test ¬_¬ i use protection all the time but i just get a lil scared after cuz i've only had sex a few times me. But now in future I'm going to book an appointment if I need to, waiting takes way to long and it makes me feel like an idiot, but it makes me feel good knowing i'm clean.

I've never been to a GUM clinic, is there any reason i would need to go?

aside from an STI test because i've only ever been with my partner so no chance of catching anything =/

VW x

Vampyrewillow wrote:

I've never been to a GUM clinic, is there any reason i would need to go?

aside from an STI test because i've only ever been with my partner so no chance of catching anything =/

VW x

Good to have routine check ups even if you've only ever been with the one partner and him with only you.

Certain STIs don't have to be sexually transmitted. It's always good for piece of mind to have routine check ups.

I tend to have one text per year at least even though I've only ever been with WandA and him only with me. It's just a good habit to get into...like getting your teeth or eyes checked!

Adx