Just when I thought my life was getting better

£80 for a microwave is at the more expensive end. I’m sure you could get something cheaper if money is tight.

4 Likes

Please contact your local CAB (citizens advice bureau) (you can call or webchat). They can help you with benefit eligibility, food bank referrals and any other discretionary payments you may be eligible for. They can also help refer you to local COVID volunteer groups and mental health services too.

4 Likes

@teacake As others have suggested to you main thing is to look at the cheapest option for cooking food prepared frozen meals would be be my suggestion? Pot noodles pot rice as another option, look on gum tree , Argos b and m any low cost retail outlet as a source for a microwave, if it has an oven facility on it then it would cook chicken another option would possibly a steamer cook fish veg £30 Asda and rice in or again another option a slow cooker cost about £35 Casseroles , stews ! Could’ve a good option look in Aldi and or Lidl may have these forsake just another way of cooking without a cooker ! Hope this gives you a couple of ideas ??? So sorry for your current situation good luck hun​:kissing_heart::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::+1:

2 Likes

You can new cheaper than that, Curry’s have one for £40. But have a look at gumtree, freecycle, facebook marketplace in case you get pick up second hand cheaper. Remember, this is just to tide you over, once you are getting some calories and nutrients inside you, you will feel more able to tackle other things. Small steps.

I am sorry to hear your family have let you down. Can you get in touch with your GP? They may be able to tell you of local volunteer support to help with shopping and apps / websites to help with anxiety - Mind have Covid specific help. Take care of yourself.

2 Likes

@PleasureDrone Thank you so much really appreciated.

Thank you @PleasureDrone @Ian_Chimp @FizzyMonster @Gazza_64 @Torridon

I will look for a cheaper microwave I was just scanning. Cheaper is better.

I will get in contact with my doctor but there isn’t much help this way to get a quick response from mental health etc…

I love you all my LH family.

5 Likes

@teacake try to keep strong and up beat you know we are trying to help​:muscle::+1::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that @teacake :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

As @SexInTheCity said, it would be worth looking into the NHS responders as one of the roles as a volunteer is to do food shopping etc for those that can’t do it themselves for whatever reason :purple_heart:

3 Likes

@Gazza_64 I will try and keep strong, Close to tears because I really thought my family were going to be there for me all the way, at the start they helped me but they seem to loose interest now, I told them I will have nothing to eat hardly any money and I still need your help with my eating, but when it comes down to it they aren’t here for me. Sort of family that from the outside everything smells of roses but behind closed doors it’s different.

@Knight1119 I’m sorry too, Thanks.

I’m more worried the stress I’m feeling will trigger a seizure, I’m on my own, no one would hear if something happened. the last time I was under stress like this was in the final two years of my relationship and I had a seizure.

For me this is it between me and my family as I keep getting let down, I go back to them like you do when you split up with someone only to be hurt again and again.

up to this point I would say I was 70 percent better but now I’m feeling like I was feeling in the last two years of my relationship.

I will be now on my own at Christmas but I’m fine with that as long as I can get food in and make myself eat.

1 Like

@MsSubExperimenter thank you, if I can’t get it online I will definitely look in that.

1 Like

If you check in here at Christmas i will make sure i do too, so you won’t be alone, as will other members i hope. I made the same promise to @CurvyJilly, so if she’s around then, the promise still stands.

5 Likes

Hi @teacake, sorry to hear you’re having such a rubbish time. Everyone has made really good suggestions and I can’t add much more. For the sake of your seizures, it would be a big weight off your shoulders to get your food situation sorted and ASAP! Once that stress (and I know you have lots more, but this would be at least one thing you no longer have to worry about) has reduced, hopefully your worries around your seizures ease too. Let’s start ticking boxes, and you’ve already made a great start.

I’ve just had a look on ASDA’s website and they have a microwave for £35 and lots of slow cookers below £20. These are great options, plus you can order your food shop at the same time :yum:

I hope things start to get better. As others have said, you have us x

5 Likes

@WillC that’s so nice of you, I will definitely be checking in.

@For_Your_Eyes_Only_x Thanks, and double thanks for looking on ASDA.

Thank You All

4 Likes

No problem! The more the merrier! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are some really good ideas from everyone here.
Just a few more thoughts:
If you are worried about seizures, can you wear an alarm on a lanyard? I’m not sure how they work but a relative who lives alone has one and used it once when she fell.
Your GP may be able to prescribe something short term for your anxiety. You can also self-refer to local talking therapy services. If you google ‘Iapt’ you should find an NHS page where you enter your postcode.
If you are finding it hard to eat (and the little meal pots / microwave / slow cooker suggestions are great) then you could also make each calorie count - snack on cubes of cheese, dried fruit, nuts etc. Something as simple as a small handful of peanuts, or a banana, can make a difference and may not be as intimidating as a meal. Use full-fat milk. Peanut butter / Nutella? Can you take a multi-vitamin supplement? Also so-called ‘diet’ milk shakes etc can actually be good for adding calories and nutrients if you use them in that way.
There will also be Covid support volunteers in your area who can help with shopping / companionship etc.

Wishing you the best of luck. Christmas will be different for everyone this year, but seeing this as a new start is a good way to go. You have your own place and do what you want in it. If you feel lonely try the games and other discussion topics on this forum - you have friends here.

5 Likes

All cracking advice @teacake, hope things turn around for you soon, always people here to talk to if you need them, :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@MsR Thank you so much, I know those alarms you are talking about, My seizures are pretty much controlled, So I wouldn’t be able to have one of those alarms.

Thanks for the information on the food.

I’m not at all prepared to be in here right now, but I will sort myself out thanks.

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest foods that you can put in a microwave remembering I will have no fridge.

My mind has gone blank apart from soup lol
Thank You.

Soup

Baked beans, spaghetti hoops, quite a few pasta dishes, most tinned foods.

2 Likes