Just when I thought my life was getting better

Food for Teacake:

Nothing - Sandwiches, salads (though buying things fresh without a fridge would mean more trips to the shops), fruit, Quorn/ own brand meal pots, peperamis are cupboard safe too

Kettle - Couscous, Pot Noodles (supermarket own brand will be cheaper), Mug Shots, pasta pots like Batchelors ones for example, you could even add sliced fresh veggies or meat to them to add some goodness

Toaster - toast, crumpets, potato waffles, teacakes

Microwave - tinned food (soup, beans, chilli, veg, etc), jacket potatoes, ready meals, liquids (eg milk for hot chocolate), scrambled egg, bacon at a pinch. Microwave rice packets too.

Fridge - will keep fresh food and leftovers fresher for longer. Milk, Yoghurts, salad, meat. Butter, cheese

Freezer - can bulk cook meals and save portions of them for as and when. Frozen veg. Ice cream. More ice cream.

Hob - pasta sauces (eg bolognese), stir fries, omelettes, boiled eggs

Grill - grilling

Oven - roasting and baking

And this post is a wiki if anyone fancies adding anything. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

7 Likes

Tinned soup - yes. Lots have pulses and veg etc and can be a meal in themselves with a bread roll. Some are more expensive but something like Cullen Skink has a lot of fish and potato.

Scrambled eggs? On toast or mixed with mayo for a sandwich.

Baked beans and spaghetti hoops come in microwave snap-pots - you could mix them together with tinned sweetcorn and tuna. Grated cheese on top is a basic pasta bake.

Tins of chilli beans with microwave rice packets?

Jacket potatoes with baked beans and cheese? Or Tuna?

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry for what youā€™re going through and that your family is treating you this way. Those we love who love us should always support us. As others have said for safety mask, hand sanitizer, also avoid touching anything you donā€™t need or plan on getting and if possible thick disposable gloves which you could get a few uses out of by using hand sanitizer on right before taking them off.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s a option where you our but a lot place have introduced free options to order and pick up online or outside thus limiting the amount of people in and what area they have to be in so hopefully that is a option.

Others have suggested some great options for food. For food to go in onto of what WillC has said tinned soups as well. One another thing iā€™d suggest for the cheap pot noodle option to for flavor to hopefully make them more enticing(I know depression and anxiety strip the want to even so enticing and taste donā€™t so much matter) you could get cheap spices like garlic powder to add a little to em.

@WillC @CurvyJilly I definitely pop on too.

Lastly I wish I could be much more help, just know you are not a lone you have support here. I know itā€™s not the same as friends in person but we are your friends or at least I am. So donā€™t hesitate to reach out for support on here, I almost always check the new tab and you can @ me and Iā€™ll definitely see it and try to help. One good thing about the forum is different parts of the world of all of us so different time zones gives a good chance of no matter the time someone will be on here.

Virtual Hugs

4 Likes

I look forward to it, time zones permitting! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@WillC definitely and I have weird hours so Iā€™ve been on morning for the Uk and 3 am state side for me before so most likely Iā€™ll catch you guys.

2 Likes

Thank You you see my mind went blank
@WillC @Ian_Chimp @MsR
@Enchantress29 Thanks for what you have said.

Thank you Everyone

4 Likes

Please, please phone your GP if you feel your mental health is suffering more than you can cope with. Services may be stretched, but they are still there for people who need them.

4 Likes

@MsR I will definitely if things get worse.

Thanks.

4 Likes

@teacake No thanks needed, Iā€™ve struggled severely in the past with mental health and not had the proper support so if I can help anyone or support anyone struggling in a similar way I will always do so. So truly reach out anytime you need, more virtual hugs.

3 Likes

I too will most likely be on here around Christmas and am pretty daily anyway at all sorts of times.

Iā€™ll gladly always ā€˜listenā€™ and give what advice and support I can.

(Also, added a couple of bits to Ianā€™s food suggestions)

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry @teacake

If people havenā€™t already mentioned it, some local councils are offering support for people affected by covid and associated lockdown issues around finances and food.

If you canā€™t get joy with your GP there are sites and apps like Hub of Hope that you can use to find local support for all sorts of needs whether mental health or otherwise.

If money is an issue, as some posters have already mentioned, freecycle and Facebook local recycling groups are good places to pick up home appliances and even food.

Jack Monroes book and website has good recipes and ideas for people on extreme budgets to help make sure what you are eating is filling and nutritious as well as ways to cut energy usage while doing it.

2 Likes

Bum ! :frowning:
Try to remember though that it appears your family did actually help you, for quite a long while. Itā€™s always difficult living on top of one another in someone elseā€™s house.

1 Like

@teacake if youā€™re uk-based you might try the

> Nextdoor

app, i have found it very useful - it has people selling or giving away free stuff, lost and found items, and people asking for (or offering) help with things like getting shopping or picking up prescriptions, which might be helpful.
There are also several mental health helpline numbers on the NHS webpage (just Google NHS mental health).
And of course, we are here for you!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @teacake, horrible situation.

It might be worth putting out a request on Facebook for fridge / microwaveā€¦etc. Never know if people have these lying around not knowing what to do.

As for foods, one of my favourites and regular is scrambled eggs.

If you manage to get a freezer, Iā€™d highly recommend the getting the vegetable steam bags. Great taste and easy to cook

1 Like

Ah this is really sad to hear @teacake , Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve fallen into this unfortunate predicament and your so right, with lockdown everything is so much harder to deal with in general. I know some places in local communities are doing door to door food deliveries to help those struggling to afford meals, plus thereā€™s food banks too that if you was to get in contact with in your area theyā€™d be able to help out and maybe even help you get some kitchen appliances to make so with for the mo till your on your feet again.

On the other part have you maybe considered researching local independent well being services like the ā€˜one to one projectā€™?
They are amazing people who can offer a wide range of assistance from counselling/therapist to general guidance and help in struggling times. Theyā€™re one of the few good places that offer a hand when needed most :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course thereā€™ll be other organisations and things to be found around where you live but if all fails then maybe have you got a good friend whoā€™d help outā€¦

3 Likes

Oh @teacake thatā€™s awful.

You may remember from when we were talking last year that my family was my problem. It took me years to realise that, and years to escape from them. During that time, I often had no one, lived on benefits on the poverty line, and therefore I know exactly what you are going through.

First thing Iā€™ll say that once you do get established independently, it is great, because you rely on none of them, and therefore can tell them all to bugger off. That independence and freedom from their influence will likely do you no end of good.

It is absolutely bloody difficult to do what you are doing. No money, and no kit, but there has been lots of great advice already about where to get stuff. Freegle/Freecycle is amazing. Weā€™ve given loads of decent stuff away, and had a few gems back too. People think everything on there is rubbish (and there is some), but there is some good stuff too. May well tide you over if nothing else.

Iā€™m not going to rehash the rest of the advice, which is great. I find the internet is a great source of recipes and ideas of what to do without a fridge. ā€œFood bank recipesā€ tend to work on the basis of not having an oven, a fridge or the like, and use tinned ingredients. Also, might be worth contacting your local food bank, as even if you arenā€™t entitled to a food bank parcel, they may be able to point you at recipes etc.

Finally my friend, we are here. At Christmas, tomorrow or whenever. xx

7 Likes

@teacake I feel for you I really do, in what is a very stressful situation. Iā€™m afraid that I canā€™t really add anything other whatā€™s already been said as everyone has been amazing with loads of helpful suggestions of food ideaā€™s and help thatā€™s available , Iā€™d just like to wish you well and fingers crossed things will improve for you soon :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@FindingLibido Thank you much appreciated.

@Melody1 I am thankful that my parents did start to help me, I understand living on top can make things harder, but I usually kept myself out of the way. When it comes to eating disorders you donā€™t give up on someone especially if itā€™s your own parents, When my daughter went through her eating disorder I was there no matter what, my partner hated me at times because I was having to force make sure her plate was empty as thatā€™s what we were told to do. All my parents had to say to my sister was no and explain why because of me.

@Silkyhat Thank you will give that app a go. Thanks for the information about the nhs.

@brufton Cheers it is a awful and horrible more because my family knew I wasnā€™t ready to move just yet. By Christmas I would of been,but not like this. I feel totally lost.

@AJSTAR Cheers, If this lockdown had happened things would of been totally different, I feel so sad and upset with whats just happened, I feel like a little boy lost. Thank you for your advice, What makes it hard is Iā€™m in a area I donā€™t know at all. I donā€™t know anyone I was with my partner for 18 years long story but it was just me and her.

@KinkyMira Thanks so many people are saying itā€™s awful I just donā€™t get how my parents canā€™t see that, itā€™s not so much about having money for food but itā€™s me trying to force myself to eat, thatā€™s why I needed people around me.
I think I will be living like you were to start with, I do remember you saying about your situation. I definitely know what you are saying once everything is going right it will be great, itā€™s just a slow walk up that horrible rocky mountain. Thank you for your comment and wisdom.

@wildflower Thank you, I think getting December over with is going to be hard knowing my family will be enjoying themselves and them knowing Iā€™m here alone. They probably would say Iā€™m welcome to go over, but I totally feel let down by them, I got to show them I will do this myself.

7 Likes

@teacake maybe as itā€™s the season of goodwill, you could reach out to your family? I know it will be hard, but sometimes doing the right thing is hard. I bet theyā€™re worried about you too.

2 Likes

@WillC I honestly donā€™t think they are that worried about me, else I would still be there. This has only just happened but this isnā€™t the first time I have been let down by my parents, I keep going back to my parents only to be let down.

I mean if you tell people who care about you that you canā€™t do this alone and I wonā€™t be eating you would think they would care, I told them Iā€™m eating toothpaste just to keep my brain thinking im eating, I think most people would listen. Problem is they have a daughter that they seem to care more for she can do nout wrong. They seem to think giving cash buys love, I donā€™t want the money, all I wanted was to be cared for while Iā€™m going through a difficult time.

Good thing is I have now ordered some food click and collect, I still canā€™t face going into shops, I will have lots of can food ectā€¦ On Wednesday.

4 Likes