London Riots

Hi,

Sadly I am not in the least bit suprised by recent events. There will always be a level of mindles violence bubbling away just below the surface of society. A few years ago a friend of mine who lives in a very quiet area in the

oops clipped the return key ...

to continue..

Surrey had his new car set fire to and burned to the ground and the Police said they knew exactly who was repsonsible but could't touch them. As long as we have this situation then there are large elements of society that see themselves as outside of the law. It has happened before in the 80s and it will happen again and no level of policing will act as a deterent.

There can be no excuses for these acts they are only driven by mindless violence and greed.

I'm the same been watching most of the night and all morning really scary and so worrying for all the innocents being involved.. My uncle is elderly and alone in croydon I had a very unsettled night worrying about him.. heard this morning he's fine and old enough that he didnt really get what was going off if you know what i mean.. Its beyond disgusting whats happening cant believe that people can do this type of thing and then go home like normal to a good night of sleep.. sick!!

"If you're old enough to commit these crimes, you're old enough to face the consequences." Possibly the best thing Cameron has ever said in his life. Now to just follow through with that...

By the way, Theresa May is an idiot.

cheer_up wrote:

"If you're old enough to commit these crimes, you're old enough to face the consequences." Possibly the best thing Cameron has ever said in his life. Now to just follow through with that...

Totally agree with it, even if they are 15 or younder in some cases, from what I heard, they should bear the consequences of their actions of these crimes

cheer_up wrote:

Yep, I agree, but what do you do with them? Personally I think they should start making prisons much tougher, it's obvious 'rehablilitation' doesn't work in the main. Unfortunately, the small number it does work for is swamped by the thousands for which it doesn't. Take away the games rooms, TV's etc. Make them work HARD and for first time offenders teach them a trade. One chance and one chance only. Multiple offenders should get hard labour, no visitation rights etc, etc. Having your liberty taken away is not enough of a deterent (obviously) so stronger measures need to be taken.

Listening to some of the rhetoric this morning really sums up how out of date some thinking is trying to appeal to those who are doing this to consider the damage they are doing to their commumity. Do they seriously think that your average teen-age looter with a baseball bat in one hand an a looted pair od designer trainers in the other give one stuff about their community?!. it is ALL about themselves, why bother to work?, why bother to obey any laws?, why bother to care about anyone or anything else but yourself and what you think you have a god-given right to have?!. As for the parents well, IMO, some people just shouldn't be allowed to have kids, I've seen young teenagers is Mc Donalds at 6 oclock in the morning so drunk that they can't stand up, I've seen my local town centre become a no-go area for Police every Friday and Saturday night so small wonder this is happening.

I for one, am massively proud of my fellow Scousers and those wonderful Londoners who are out on the streets for @riotcleanup the #riotwombles. Look at http://www.riotcleanup.com/ if you're nearby and want to help.

In Liverpool I've heard of people travelling from Manchester to help out :) bring the two cities together and ignore all the twats spreading hateful messages online! I wish I was in Liverpool but I'm 100 miles away.

I hope everyone living near by is safe and well.

Adx

Hahaha, Riot Wombles. Brilliant name.

Czech news just said Cameron is planning to send out 16,000policemen into London streets tonight.But I seriously doubt this is going to help... They just ignore the police.

I've just heard that the man shot in Croydon has died in hospital - so we're expecting more trouble again.

Just wanted to add that my heart goes out to all the innocent people affected by the riots. Sadly, I have some close friends who have been badly affected, and I know there are many more of you out there.

Take care all of you, stay safe xxx

thoughts with those affected,

breaks my heart to think of all the vunerable people in society ( the old and disabled ect) who must be so terrified right now,

My heart goes out to everyone living in the affected areas and hope these MINDLESS SCUM get what the deserve!!

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

The thing about what started it all off was because of a boy being shot dead after shooting a policeman. I don't know the details well enough to say what actually happened, but I know that the BBC didn't say anything about the boy being killed when the incident happened and according to a small (very small) section of the Independent, the police had tried to cover up the boys death and there was a much bigger stir about the police officer.

The boy was coloured. This didn't help matters. There is a high fear of police especially from the african-carribean community. Granted, the majority of gangs in London who carry guns and knives are black, but there is a big divide between the coloured community, the police and the white community in London. And it would seem that the handling of this boys death (the way the police told the parents of his death was not very proffessional, so it is said) was just the last straw.

Aye, it's not clear if the secrecy thing is just because of standard practice - think there always has to be an inquiry when a police officer shoots someone - but either way it looked dead shady from the outside. But that only spawned the peaceful protest Thursday night: it was at that that someone started a rumour (possibly true, but it hasn't been confirmed, so looks dodgy) that some 16year old girl had chucked a stone at some police and they battered her, like absolutely pulverised. again, that's not confirmed, but it was being spread as a fact amongst the protesters, and a bunch of them got angry over it and went mad. And then it spread, either through mob mentalisty, folk looking for an excuse, or folk just suddenly finding a way to vent their feelings of frustration, powerlessness and oppression.

It's sad, and it's stupid, but to be honest, it shouldn't be surprising: areas like that have been systematically ignored and left to rot, no funding going in, more inadequate housing going in and jobs just drying up, no support networks or assistance or even acknowledement given, and the small hopes that folk had for getting out - university and education, financial assistance, etc. - being stripped away and nothing given in return. And all the while seeing reports of how such-and-such a rich person has gotten a massive bonus, or some other twat in his mansion has gotten nothing but a slap on the wrist for stealing millions from employees, and a bajillion stories about how the rich can get away with stealing and cheating, while they're havign to fight to get even the bare minimum they're entitled to. Hell, even Cameron took three days to "rush" off the beach and back to his own country to denounce them! I'm sure folk struggling to exist each and every week will feel shagrined to interrupt his foreign holiday. Perfect example of why wagging a finger at them, while flipping them off with the other hand, will never, ever do anything but breed more resentment and unrest.

Not sure if connected but southampton job centre got attacked (arson) coz my mate was ment to sign on today and they rang him to tell him they had to postpone his app (which he's well happy about!) He's got a job now anyway so all ok for him.

Not heard of anything else rnd here - and am off away to the forest now.

TAKE CARE ALL with the troubles happening.

D69x

there's roumours it's going to kick off in my old uni town of Leicester. ( though only roumours, no credible sources and the town is running as normal) it'd be so sad if it did because there is a strong community there who only last october responded peacefully to agitation from fascist groups who deliberatley came to the city to cause violence and intimidation in the people.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Just watched Boris Johnsons speech to all his happy helpers in clapham on cleaning up the place. Quite funny with his broom!

i want to buy a pint for the person who told him to get off of his a**e and help!

This is lovely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

I heard that on the radio at lunchtime, un-frickin-believable....

How did kids get such f**king horrendous attitudes and such enormous chips on their shoulders? (Am not expecting an answer to this, far from it, I just can't comprehend such disrespect)

"Just showing we can do what we want" WTF???????