military

Anyone here got partners in the military or are you?

Anyone? ![](upload://rWunPW3zYHdA0ypr4dRQnAP8JTy.gif)

Not at the moment, but I do have experience of this. I actually clicked on this thread because I like uniforms. Ooops.

![](upload://kym5tZ5EfyJxs6TKHB1Q2HtGSpK.gif)

Agreed uniforms are sexy, how did you cope? If you dont mind me asking x

Short answer is, I (we) didn't. I'll never really know if we would have stayed together if he hadn't been in the military, but I know for sure that it put an enormous strain on us. I have sympathy for anyone going through this. It's really hard on everyone involved.

im an ex squaddie, left four years ago

As a wargamer ,I do take an interest in the military.

Going forward as your relationship develops you will better at coping for when he is away . In recent times with the problems of the Middle East , the soldiers could be away for lengthy tours , althougth this has recently been cut back. The WAGs tend to form their own community and support each other for when the Guys and Gals are away.With modern technology these days it is possble to keep in touch.

As youl like uniforms then thre formal regimental dinner dances will be a treat for you which will have their own dress code . Its all part and parcel of building the regiemental esprit de corps .

My boyfriend was a squaddie. Unfortunately we didn't last. He joined a year into our relationship and we lasted just after his passing out. We were both young at the time, lacking in life experience. He wanted to get married so we could be together but i wanted to go out and party.

Now, my husband, although not in the military he works away so we live apart. In the beginning I saw him every few months but now I see him twice a week. The distance is difficult, there are days I resent him too which I know is selfish of me but i feel it.

How long is he away for?

when i handed my kit back, only thing my wife insisted on me keeping was my beret. still turns her on

I sympathise. Just the thought of US ACU and boots gets me.... well, I cant say for fear it will be removed by moderator. :)

I dated a guy who served, it felt like a living hell when he was away tbh.

Sadly he has killed a number of years ago and I swore I could not go through it again, I was 19 and it was hell. I think it takes a special kind of person.

Hey thanks all for getting back... i see none of you have any real positive feedback lol feels me with sadness.

This is a new relationship one in which im so happy even though its gutting when he leaves im so proud of him and his achievements.

I was just wondering how you all got on the first night they leave etc as thats when i find it pparticularly hard.

My cousin has been in the army for 24 yrs and is happily married most of this time. It is not impossible to have a strong relationship but as with any relationship that means there are large amounts of time apart, it takes work.

My husband travels for work a fair bit so we make sure we keep things alive with regular contact and when he is home I try not to welcome him home with a couple weeks worth of moans and he always tries to throw himself back into family life.

I am ok for the 1st night away it is normally after a couple of nights I really miss him or after a particularly difficult day.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new relationship xx

my wife and i have been married for ever, we worked out that i had been away on tour and ops for nearly half of our marriage. the last two years i was home for six weeks, Public duties, pre training for afghanistan and then the deployment and then finally courses to become qualified as a civilian. she never complained once apart from the time i was called back to camp (after public duties) to be told i was going on tour. she really went off on one then

Im in the military and happily married, i haven't been away for a little while but when i do its hard but there are means of communications and makes you realise what you have once you get home, makes the relationship stronger in my case, have a real solid rock standing by me no matter what, so it can be a good experience and if you want it to work you can :)

I'm an ex Para and new to this forum, in fact this is my first post......

It can work you just have to put the work in to keep your relationship going. Regular letters while away, calls when possible, carr packages.... There's lots of ways to make it work providing your both invested in things working. Don't give up because it can be hard but you adapt and things can be great. Good luck

Hey all sorry for the long waiting reply havent been able to get on here. I dont intend to ever give up on him, just wondered how others did things 😊ive never had any experience of the military and how relationships work for people inside and out, so all very new.

Don't think of it as being a negative. Its a different lifestyle . Yes he perhaps will be away some of the time . Thats no different than some civil jobs particularly when your in business and have to go away on business trips etc. The military whatever branch of the forces will have a lot of tradition and I dare say as things develop you will be called on to help in upholding that tradition .

You will need to come to terms that depending on his role he will be taking risks of injury or death. However that isnt much different than being a policeman or in the fire brigade.

I have a couple of friends in the TA and they both enjoy it and they get great support from their partners .

my husband is in the Navy and when he left the day of I just kept myself busy and making sure I went to see family as much as possible I guess its a bit different for me as I have a lil one to look after