Non-parents being sterilized

I cannot read this without hearing ‘fish and chips’. It’s impossible. Even after 3 years, I still want to say, 'ooh, isn’t the NHS good. It’s amazing what they can do with the resources they have".

@Ian_Chimp - I can just imagine the doctor operating on me with a knife and fork now :joy:

@Peitho - After I got my implant removed, my periods went back to a regular pattern basically straight away. Every 3-4 weeks now. I haven’t had a “proper” period in 13 years so it was nice to get them back as I could keep track of them then.

Hormone levels also went back pretty quickly. Now I’m only a narky cow around my period and not 24/7 like before, haha. Sex drive increased and I could get wet by myself instead of relying on lube, too.

Hope it goes well for you :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you! And also thank you for the really useful info throughout this thread.

1 Like

Agreed, I have saved some of the studies you mentioned and have taken notes :relaxed:

1 Like

It’s been really helpful to read through this thread, so thanks @Mint-Monster and everyone who shared their experiences. I’m so glad that others feel the same way that I do. I know I don’t want to have my own children, it’s not that I don’t like children, I just don’t like the idea of having my own, the thought of it fills me with dread. If I did want children I’d chose to adopt. I’m so fed up with being asked when I’m planning to have children or people just assuming that I will - comments starting with “when you have your own children …”

3 Likes

@Kitty-Cat01 - Glad to read it. I also found it comforting to see others that felt the same way I did in this big baby crazed world :yum:

I know what you mean. It can get pretty frustrating when people won’t take your word for it. Or they expect you to justify why you don’t want kids or something.

However, still gives me the chance to resort to silly comebacks like:

“No kids for us. We only like anal”

Or

“Yes, I want lots of kids. I love baby goats and the pitter patter of their tiny cloven feet” :goat:

3 Likes

Exactly! I’m sure no one ever asks why they wanted them?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: :goat: Brilliant! This made me smile :smiley: Maybe I’ll try the second one next time

3 Likes

Honestly mini goats are the cutest things :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m getting sterilised on 7th April :partying_face:

1 Like
  1. How old were you when you got it done? 32

2. Was the doctor/nurse reasonable or did you have to fight for it and if so how did you convince them? Doctor themselves were reasonable. It’s the red tape they have to follow (even privately). Still had to have Dr and fertility counsellor agree and my GP had to be told.

3. Did you get it done on NHS or did you have to go private? Private. NHS wouldn’t even entertain it at 32 with no kids :unamused:

4. Did it make you happier? (or affect your sex drive, mood, etc.) Will let you know

5. How long did it take from the meeting and agreement with your doctor/nurse until the actual procedure? Weeks? Months? Consultation 31st Jan 2022, procedure will be 7th April 2022.

6. How many times were you unsuccessful and were turned away before someone gave the ok? What reason did they have for turning you away?
    NHS GP wouldn’t even refer me. Said to wait until I was 37.

3 Likes

You do you. My OH was sterilized at 30 after 3 children. We then met 2 years later after not seeing each other since we left school. We married and I had no children. She wanted us to have a child together so asked about reversal. It is possible but we were refused.
There are ways round it. We went to Sweden for 1 round of private IVF and we ended up having triplets. IVF was basically used to jump the clips in her tubes.
So although it’s a fairly permanent solution, if your circumstances changed it’s not the end of the world

@Cali_Nyx - It’s crazy how varied the answers can be depending on who you speak to. Half the time I reckon it’s people going on their own personal opinions of when is the “right” time to make that decision. My NHS GP didn’t even bat an eye and referred me to the gynecologist as it wouldn’t be him who makes the call to sterilise me or not. I was also told that I would have to be 30 to be considered, not 37. I was only a few months off 30 at the time so what difference would it have even made? What’s so magic about this number? Haha. It’s a good thing I didn’t wait as that’s when Covid hit.

I wasn’t sent to counselling but it was spoken about in the consult. Didn’t have to in the end.

Could be a case by case thing? I don’t know where they are getting the ages from, though. In my case, they may have done it quicker because I sent them a complaint :thinking:

2 Likes

Luckily my fertility counsellor was a right on, women’s rights feminist. She agreed straight away because her belief is: women should have the right to decide what to do with their body :muscle:

We had a great conversation and I felt like she totally got me and didn’t make me justify myself.

2 Likes

@Mint-Monster hey, I had Filshie clips put on 3 days ago. Recovery is ok - just wondering what your pain was like and for how long and when did you return to normal activity? Even lying down is painful right now and I have no enegry.

1 Like

Apparently thr older you are when you’re sterilised the less likelyhood you are to regret it and the failure rate reduces with age as well.

@Cali_Nyx - Congrats. Time to just take it easy and rest now.

I think the first 3 days were the most uncomfortable, but that was mainly to feeling gassy and bloated. I don’t recall it being super painful, though. More like I had been doing lots of sit ups kind of ache. I went back to work at 5 days days after. I work in an office so not very taxing apart from the 30 minute walk to get there.

From the research I’ve seen, the regret rate can go more on the education level of the woman and also below 30 it’s people who already had kids who have higher regret rate than nulliparous ones.

The failure rate can also depend on the method of sterilisation and if it was performed correctly. For example, having both tubes removed has a lower failure rate.

Unfortunately, nothing is 100% which can be scary. That’s one of the reasons I still take pregnancy tests just to make sure :sweat_smile:

Someone we know had her tubes tied after 3 kids and several miscarriages. And now she has a new baby. I’m not sure how old she is, though.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Will comment my thoughts on research later.

1 Like

@Mint-Monster how you were back at work 5 days after being sterilised, I’ll never know!

I’m still hunched over, exhausted and so uncomfortable.

@Cali_Nyx - Sorry to hear that. Hmm, I’m not sure. Everyone is different I guess. Hope you feel better soon :bouquet:

Ah! Day 6 seems to be a good day. Still tired but definitely have less discomfort and feeling a lot more ‘myself’

2 Likes