Squirrel's ramble

:chipmunk:
Hi to anyone who has a read of this… :wave:
Just wanted to say that Myself and Bunny :rabbit: find this site a great place to find information about the things we want to try, also it’s really the only place (apart from when we are alone together) that I can talk freely, not just about sex and toys but at all.
I have major social issues, which mean that I struggle to talk, even to my friends and colleagues. I never really learned any social skills as I was growing up so conversation is excruciatingly hard for me.
Coupled with the fact that I hate to be touched by anyone it’s amazing that me and Bunny ever got together at all, but we did 26 years ago and the rest is history, now when we go out Bunny usually does all the talking :lips: (she CAN yap, lol), until I’ve had a few beers :beers:, then Inhibitions dissappear and I can talk (albeit gibberish).
So this site gives me the anonymity I need to be able to express myself in a way I never could in public or on social media.
That’s all I wanted to say…
Catch you all on the other posts…
:chipmunk::rabbit2:

21 Likes

I get where you’re coming from. I hate social situations where there are lots of people i don’t know. In real life i am pretty introverted despite being able to speak my mind if i have to.
We have had a decorator in at the beginning of the week. He was into rock music in a big way, so we were discussing it a lot.
I overheard my OH say to him later “Bill doesn’t say a lot, but if you get him onto music you can’t shut him up”
I don’t think she knew i heard, but she summed me up perfectly!
So feel free to gibber away, you are amongst friends here! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That sounds like fate to me. :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

@Squirrel_and_Bunny (well, just Squirrel, actually :slightly_smiling_face: ) - The two social skills problems you mentioned - finding conversation extremely difficult AND not wanting to be touched - rang a bit of a bell with me, and so I want to run something past you. NOTE: You don’t have to respond to this at all - I’m not looking for an answer from you. It’s just something to mull over for yourself.

I’ve got several friends who are neuro-diverse - who, in some way or another, exist somewhere on the autism spectrum. Most of them struggled for decades with being called “socially awkward”, “uncommunicative” or just “a bit odd”, went through childhood and well into adulthood without knowing why they found social interaction cripplingly hard and/or were hypersensitive to certain stimuli …until somebody recognised the pattern, and they were tested and diagnosed properly, and finally got a window on WHY they feel the way they do.

Like I say: just running it past you. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So glad you feel able to express yourself fully on here @Squirrel_and_Bunny! I’ve really enjoyed your contributions to the forum, so keep em coming!

Has Bunny noticed any difference since you’ve been a member of the forum in your day to day lives? Sometimes I think these types of forums can help build confidence in areas we wouldn’t expect!

3 Likes

@PleasureDrone, I have often wondered if I had a mild version of aspergers syndrome, I was going to follow this up through my works health plan, but unfortunately when I reached out they told me I had to go through my line manager, he had only started that week so I didn’t know him, I just shelved the idea…
@SexInTheCity, Bunny instigated our new found foray in to our “kinkier” side, but she has noticed that I am willing to do a lot more than she thought since we started coming on here for ideas and advice.
In our day to day life, I think I’m still pretty much the same, I try to front it out, but trying to keep up the pretence is pretty exhausting.

2 Likes

If the question still intrigues you, Squirrel, there are quick online questionnaires you can do which might give you an inkling. They’re all pretty much the same: basic multiple-choice things - they don’t collect any personal info. No substitute for a proper diagnosis of course, but can be useful to help a person decide whether it’s worth further investigation. Here’s a typical one. BTW, I dispute their use of the term “suffer from”. Autism is just a difference in brain architecture, not an illness! :roll_eyes:

The important thing when doing this kind of test is to be totally honest with yourself in choosing your answers. Don’t be tempted into giving the answer that flatters you, makes you feel good about yourself or sounds like what you think they want to hear.

I’ll shut up now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you @PleasureDrone, I have taken the test, I’m uploading the screenshot, and I’ll put a link to it on here in an edit.
Looks like I may be a touch autistic…
Edit…https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/images-to-share-in-topics/259586/25?u=squirrel_and_bunny

1 Like

That must be tough, I’m so glad you feel comfortable enough to open up here and talk as much as you like :blush: it’s good to have somewhere you can lay your anxieties aside and be yourself :relieved:

1 Like

Good for you.
I have a child with Down’s. He doesn’t ‘suffer’ from it. Luckily, so far, he hasn’t had to meet many people who ‘suffer’ from this misunderstanding :+1:

2 Likes

It’s so much easier on here @Cassii, I have always found it preferable to type out my thoughts than say them out loud, I often reply by email or text to avoid using the phone :iphone:, I have developed lots of little tricks to avoid human interaction as much as possible.
This site is great.

1 Like

Are you feeling ok with the news it could be? I know you’ve said you wondered about it before but it can still be a bit of a shock to see

That’s good, there’s no one way to do things in life, if you’ve found ways to make things work for you that’s great!

2 Likes

I’m fine with it, if I had have gone to find out it would have just been a confirmation of what I pretty much know, I am who I am, just like everyone, we all have our quirks.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it :blush:

(I don’t know if you’ve already looked but in case you’re interested there’s quite a few good neuro-divergent/neuro-diverse YouTubers out there with some interesting tips and tricks for things that have helped them)

1 Like

Everyone’s somewhere on the spectrum, it’s just a matter of where. I’m diagnosed as Autistic and getting a diagnosis really helped me, it meant a lot of stuff wasn’t just me or just in my head, there was an explanation for it. Plus in general people seem to be more accommodating if you have a diagnosis. I get what you mean though, I’m me quirks and all but it was nice to know why i couldn’t understand sone stuff for example

It’s not an affliction or anything, your brain just works a bit differently so you sometimes have to translate stuff a bit :grinning: if a diagnosis would help I’d go for it (my dad is likely autistic too but has decided he’s settled enough in life to not need a diagnosis, a diagnosis wouldn’t really help him at this point).

I’m more comfortable talking on here too, the anonymity helps and as odd as it sounds typing rather than speaking aloud helps me too as i can think things through better and the words won’t get stuck in my throat.

I will say it’s interesting you mentioned your partner being more extroverted, i see the same thing with my mum and dad (my mum is less socialable than most of her family but a lot more socialable than dad and i)

4 Likes

Whilst not staying directly on topic I too hate the terminology of “suffer from”. One way or another we all have our issues. I have PTSD, depression and general anxiety disorder. Im not not looking for sympathy or anything like that, I put my issues down to seeing things whilst being in the emergency services ive seen things that have left marks on me.

The sooner we as a race/population start to remove the stigma attached to mental health problems, the sooner we can “normalise” things. This too goes for people who may have Autism, DS or something else.

Just because we have our issues it doesn’t mean we don’t exist or can’t exist. Sometimes it just takes us a little longer.

Thank you for listening.

4 Likes

Exactly. It’s not suffering, it’s just something you have and live with. Some mental health things aren’t even really a problem for people, everyone finds their own ways to cope.

There is a LOT of stigma associated with some conditions for stupid outdated reasons (for example, when i left school for college i found out 1 girl had been telling loads of people all about how i was stupid because i was autistic - no idea how she could justify that empirically seeing as i got the 3rd highest results in our entire year and she wasn’t 1 of the of the ones who scored higher than me)

4 Likes

An expression often used in my field of work is “humans are just c@#ts” which is basically true.

@Ace12345 im sorry you experienced norrow minded fools through schooling. These people walk amongst us (sounds something like a Harry Potter thing) but its true.

Life as a collective is hard let alone dealing with stupid comments which can impact on our lives.

2 Likes

@Squirrel_and_Bunny glad to hear you find a certain relaxation and freedom when speaking here, i understand what you mean.

I took that test too and it says minor autism/aspergers possibility.

3 Likes

Actually that’s a thought, I’m going to see what that test says for me

1 Like