How does your garden grow

All else fails, you can make them into homemade booze.
Havent the foggiest if it tastes any good, but it is an option

2 Likes

Courgette Boats are really nice:

1. Halve them lengthways
  2. Scoop out seedy inners with teaspoon (leave about 1cm flesh around the edges)
  3. Half fill with finely diced onion
  4. Top with grated cheddar (press on firmly)
  5. Sprinkle with pepper
  6. Roast on GM6/180Ā°C Fan/200Ā°C for around 50 mins until courgettes soften

The flesh absorbs the onion flavour and goes really sweet, and the cheese seals all the juices in.

Maybe have 2 boats each with a chicken salad :green_salad:

1 Like

The weather has not been kind to our garden the last couple of days.

Have been removing some of the destroyed plants today.

My garden has gone crazy with all the sun and then rain.
Courgettes, potatoes, carrots and green beans coming out of my ears.
Picked the last of the peas and first corn on the cob today.
I wish I could retire and just garden all day :rofl:

1 Like

First blackberries today. Still a little sour but give it a week

2 Likes

Oh yum :drooling_face: itā€™s funny cos Iā€™ve just been planning a blackberry and apple combo, only 20 mins ago. Really looking forward to them at this side. Do you have any plans at yours @Melody1 ?

1 Like

Freshly picked blackberries normally go in breakfast , cereals or porridge - they freeze well too. Apples I eat, they are really good, give away or store (normally lasting into December) . I do sometimes stew and freeze too.

I would like to get an apple press and juice but they are expensive (until I look at my Lovehoney bill over the last few months :thinking: )

1 Like

Blackberries in porridge sound lovely. Iā€™ll have to try that myself.

At the moment Iā€™m resorting to supermarket frozen ones until my Grandadā€™s ripen (we donā€™t have any at home). Heā€™s a few years off 100 and still going strong; with an orchard, damsons, gooseberries and goodness know what else. With his age, it depends on who (or what) gets to the fruit first, so Iā€™ll be fighting the neighbours, cleaning lady, and cows to them Iā€™m sure :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be extending my garden to foraging soon. Many of the fields around here used to be orchards before being converted to arable. There are still plenty of fruit trees left in amongst the hedgerows. Damsons sweet enough to eat raw, plenty of plums bearing no resemblance to the supermarket ā€˜ripen at homeā€™ rubber balls. Blackberries and apples as well if I were ever to run out. Unofficially sweetcorn and beans too lol

2 Likes

Sheesh, arenā€™t some of the supermarket forced fruit offering terrible? I just love to eat damsons that are so ripe they just burst as theyā€™re bitten, then all that lovely sweet syrup runs down your hand before you know what happened. :drooling_face:

Your garden sounds amazing, and such a selection! :+1:

1 Like

Itā€™s the main reason I moved here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Made hay while the sun shone and cut back my ā€˜meadowā€™ then spread beneath the apples tree to cushion the windfalls and make them easier to spot

3 Likes

Have been trying to do a couple of small jobs in the garden but it is so hot we have had to come in ,will try in a little while when hopefully it is a little cooler.

yeah, it was deceptively warm out there today. I was doing battle with a bramble and nettle patch that was taking over so needed to be in long sleeve top and jeans to save being shredded. Then the sun came out and I was somewhat sweaty.

I think itā€™s also been drier than I realised. The leaves on my courgettes have got that white stuff on (mould?) that I think means theyā€™ve been short on water

I have a bit of a black thumb, so my plants donā€™t tend to have long lives :pensive:

Next year Iā€™ll have more time and space for gardening, so Iā€™d like to try planting some herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, and mint) and some easy flowers like pansies in the spring. Iā€™d really love to be able to grow my own veggies and greens, but I know I need to take baby steps, otherwise Iā€™ll just kill everything :seedling:

3 Likes

Courgettes are real easy to grow , as are Rosemary , Sage and Thyme. Mint is easy too but perhaps in a pot as it can take over

4 Likes

Iā€™m planning to do a big pot for each herb so that they have plenty of room :relaxed: I use a ton of herbs in the kitchen, so the more the better! And then maybe try drying some to use in the winter :snowflake:

Iā€™d like to try growing beets too (when Iā€™m confident enough to start on veggies) if theyā€™re not difficult :thinking:

My mother in law has greens every summer (arugula, kale, spinach, romaine, and a few others) but she buys them already grown and in dirt, replants them and trims them for eating until until they stop producing. Is that a good method for greens, rather than trying to grow from seed?

3 Likes

Bay trees are another that keep on giving and can be an ā€˜ornamentalā€™ feature too

3 Likes