The Great Big Review and Testing Guide

Testing & Reviewing FAQs:

Who can be a tester?

Our Tester scheme is open to all our customers! :partying_face: You just need to write 7-10 good reviews of things you already own to show us your writing style, and you can then be considered for free review items.

:earth_africa: International Testers
Not only are all our testers available to all our international customers too, but we also offer some testers that are only stocked in our Australian and American warehouses. So look out for those dedicated Tester Topics. :australia: :us:

Do I have to be a Lovehoney Customer?

Yes, the Lovehoney Tester Programme is a perk for Lovehoney Customers. While you can review any item we stock, even if it wasn’t purchased from us, you do need to have purchased something from us to qualify for the Programme.

Can I test any product I ask for?

We carefully select the items we need reviews for before posting them to a Tester Topic. These items, and these items only, are the only ones we have available for testing.

Where are the testers!?

All of the current Tester Topics can be found in the Testers category.

How do I apply for an item?

All the instructions will be in each Tester Topic. Read all the information carefully, and put your name down for the items you’re interested in, using the method described in the post.

I applied for something by accident, how do I un-apply?

Not to fear, we won’t make you test something against your will. :slightly_smiling_face:

If it’s a Tester Topic with a poll you can press the Show Vote to go back and change your choices. If you wish to be removed from consideration entirely leave all the other options blank and vote for ‘I voted by accident’.

If it’s a Tester Topic where you reply with a list of your preferences then you can edit your post if it’s still within your edit window (24 hours for Trust Level 1, and 30 days for Trust Level 2 and higher), or you can delete your post using the dustbin icon.

If you change your mind but have already received the selection email, contact us at community@lovehoney.co.uk as soon as possible and we will try and cancel the order before dispatch.

When are the Tester Topics posted?

The Tester Topics are refreshed regularly. There’s no set day or time that they’re posted, so check back often. To receive a notification every time there’s a new one you can set the Testers category to ‘Watching First Post’ using the bell icon. You can find out more about how to do this in Notifications

How long are the Tester Topics open for?

Tester Topics stay up for varying amounts of time. It all depends on how long it takes to find the right person. Some stay for a few hours, some for a week.

Do you need my measurements?

Specific measurements are really useful when it comes to lingerie reviews. Not everyone is comfortable with sharing that kind of detail, and that’s okay, but including your own in your reviews is probably one of the most helpful things you can do. Height, usual clothes size, hips, waist, chest, cup size, and any other element you think would be relevent (eg ‘long legs’). All of these give people a much clearer idea of why the item was a good/bad fit. And the chances are that if you found something that made you feel irresistible then all your body-buddies will too. :+1:

And don’t forget to include the size of the item as well. :bikini::slightly_smiling_face:

If you’d like to be chosen to review lingerie, sending us your measurements will really improve your chances (especially for :lovehoney_heart: Secret Testers).

These should be shared before you are selected to review lingerie and only need to be sent the once - although having up to date measurements is helpful so if your measurements change please update me! :smiley:

How will I know if I've been selected?

If you’re selected for a tester item you will receive an email from community@lovehoney.co.uk. For :lh_heart_purple: Regular Testers there’s no need to reply, your item will be dispatched automatically. For :lovehoney_heart: Secret Testers you will need to reply to the email confirming your interest, and agreeing to abide by the Secret Tester code of absolute silence. :zipper_mouth_face:

My tester is faulty, shall I just review it?

No. If it’s faulty that means you can’t review it properly, as the tester reviews are for use, fit, feel, etc. If you are unfortunate enough to receive a faulty tester please contact Customer Care, and they should be able to sort you out a replacement.

Can I talk about my tester?

Most of our items are :lh_heart_purple: Regular Testers, meaning that they’re already live for sale on the main site. As they’re publicly available for anyone to buy you can discuss them as openly as you like, just as you would any other purchase.

The :lovehoney_heart: Secret Tester Topics are usually items that are not yet stocked on Lovehoney and we want opinions before they are. These are called ‘Secret’ for a reason - you must not discuss these, not even on the forum. You can find out more in the Secret Testers FAQs

In general, the rule of thumb for discussing tester items is that if it’s live on the site then you can mention it, and if it isn’t then you can’t.

Do I have to say that it's a tester in my review?

That’s up to you. However, we would rather you use the space to talk about the product itself. If you are testing lingerie maybe use that space to talk about your dress size/cup size/height and the size received - this is far more helpful.

Do I have to give a postive review?

Absolutely not. We need you to be honest and informative, so treat it exactly as if you’d bought it. If you don’t like a product for any reason put it in your review and tell us why you don’t like it. Including the reasons will be far more useful to other people than simply saying ‘not for me’, and one person’s negative could well be the next’s ‘must have’.

How long do I have to write my review?

Usually you have :green_heart: one month from the dispatch date to write your review. This should give you enough time to use the item a few times, and give it a fair review. Sometimes the deadline can be shorter if we need a review or some feedback pronto, but this will be made clear in the Tester Topic before you put your name forward.

Deadline Key:

:green_heart: One Month | :orange_heart: Two Weeks | :heart: One Week

If you get close to the time limit you’ll be sent some reminder emails to ask if there’s anything wrong. If you haven’t been able to write your review for whatever reason, just let us know. If you don’t submit a review at all you will be put on the naughty list. :poop::spiral_notepad:

Where do I submit my review?

If the item is live on the site you can submit your review from its product page. The ‘Write a Review’ button can be found in the Customer Reviews section.

If your item is a :lovehoney_heart: Secret Tester that is not yet live on the site we will email you instructions on how to submit your review.

How can I improve my chances of being selected?

To increase your chances of being chosen the main thing you need to do is start writing reviews of things you already own. Don’t worry if you didn’t buy them from Lovehoney, if it’s on the site for sale then you can submit a review for it. The usual things to help you get going are condoms and lubricants, and you can submit a review for any item from its product page.

And it’s worth saying again, for lingerie testers it’s really helpful if you send us your measurements.

But you also have to be patient. There are a lot more testers than there are products. And remember… it’s quality over quantity. Anyone can rattle off loads of two line reviews, but we’re looking for something a little more thorough. Most people tend to have written between 7 to 10 good reviews before they’re chosen as a tester.

How can I improve my review writing?

Be honest, informative and detailed in your reviews. A review with three sentences is unlikely to get you chosen, neither is being overly graphic. The How to Write a Great Review Guide has lots of good advice on what we look out for. Basically, the more you write reviews the better you get, and the more chance you have of being selected.

I’m new to sex toys, does that matter?

No not at all. We like to see reviews from people who are new to toys, as it helps others that are new to toys too.

Obviously, only put yourself forward for items that you know you can give a thorough test, don’t add them just because you want a freebie (eg. don’t add normal condoms if you have a latex allergy). But if something interesting appears in a Tester Topic that you’ve never tried before then don’t be afraid to put yourself forward. A beginner’s perspective is often really useful.

In fact, when choosing someone to test the item we could be looking for a number of different things. Sometimes we want someone experienced, sometimes we want a newbie’s perspective, sometimes we want a couple’s view, etc. It changes with each item. So it doesn’t matter if you’ve been using toys for years, write a blog about them, or have never used one before. All opinions and reviews are helpful to someone.

Does it matter what items I buy, or how often? Will that make a difference to what I can be chosen for?

When we allocate items we look for people who would be best suited to test them. How much you’ve spent, and how often you’ve ordered, are not a part of that decision.

Similarly, you don’t need to have bought a butt plug from us to put yourself forward to test a butt plug. We look for beginners perspectives as often as experienced ones. The best advice is to put your name forward for anything you’re interested in, and that you think you can give a thorough test to.

Do I need to be active on the forum to be a tester?

You do need a community account to apply for testers, but apart from that, no.

Your message count or read total don’t contribute towards becoming a tester. We do say: “If we feel that your reviews are well written, honest and informative, and you have contributed positively to the forums”, but this is nothing to do with the amount of activity.

Your forum activity does give us an insight into your likes and dislikes, so joining in can help you be selected for the right item, but if you’re not the chatty type it certainly won’t stop you ever being selected. The only forum topics you need to engage with to be a tester are the Tester Topics. :lh_heart_purple: :lovehoney_heart:

My review isn’t showing yet?

If the item is live on the website then give it 48-72 hours to appear - if it still hasn’t appeared, then contact Customer Care. If it was a :lovehoney_heart: Secret Tester your review will not go live until the product does. This can sometimes take months. Sometimes it won’t even make it to sale at all, and in this case your review is counted as submitted but won’t be put on the site.

I haven’t had a tester for a while, why not?

As long as you’ve been submitting your tester reviews, and you haven’t spilled any secrets over social media, then you won’t be on the naughty list. So be patient. Just because you’ve had testers sent to you before does not guarantee you will always get them. There are so many people wanting to be testers that there are simply not enough products to keep giving everyone them all the time. Sometimes you can get several items in a couple of weeks, and then nothing for months.

In the meantime, keep enjoying your toys and lingerie, keep writing good reviews, and come join us on the forum to talk about all things sexual happiness. :slightly_smiling_face: :lh_heart_purple_2:

Is there a way to see all my live reviews?

Unfortunately not, this is not a feature that we currently have.

But don’t worry, as long as you use the same email to review as you use to log-in to the forum then it’s all linked up, and we can see exactly what we need to to allocate testers. :female_detective:

How long are items available for?

If the post is still up, at least one (if not all) of the items are still available for testing. Usually when some items are sent but other not, the items that are no longer available will have a line through them. Once all the items from a post are sent, then the post is locked and hidden. So if it is still up - volunteer away!

Updated May 2023

Credit to @PurringTiger for the original FAQs. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

53 Likes